Honda Civic Hatchback Smoke Problems

JulienAM

5+ Year Member
Hey all,

Ive been looking at buying a honda civic Hatch for a while and I finally found a promising one on craigslist yesterday...

I am really excited about this car, its a Civic Hatch 1994, with an Acura engine swap, the B18b Engine.

My dad and I test drove it yesterday and it really is great and it KICKS BUTT!

The only thing is that when you make a hard turn, only sometimes (completely random), a great big cloud of smoke is released through the muffler.

The weird thing is that we don't think it is burning oil like most cars that smoke. My dad did a compression test and everything came out pretty well, the lowest was 165 and the highest was 183.

Like I said, the cars really drives well and It is in pretty good condition, i just want to know more about the smoke problem before i buy this thing.

If anyone has any ideas, please respond to this! Thanks!

This is the Craigslist posting: http://asheville.craigslist.org/cto/1426775917.html

Thanks a bunch!!!

io_303

NIFOC
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Only thing I can really think of that could cause that problem under a hard turn would be a bad valve seal letting oil in when it starts pooling on the one side.

BlownGasket

Civic From Hell
5+ Year Member
take a good many hard turns and take out some of the spak plugs. whichever one is fouled the worst probably has the bad seal. There couldnt be much other than that that could be going worng if everything is exactly how you say it is.

RonJ

Banned
The cylinder(s) with 165 PSI is borderline and a concern.

I also think that IO_303's explanation of smoking while turning is plausible.