Honda fluids, are they really needed?

tjsonowk

Hey All,
I have a 2008 Civic sedan. First, I change the oil and filter before the warning and I use high quality synthetic oil, and I add Zmax. However, when it come to the transmission and other fluids I've maintained Honda only fluids. Is this necessary as long as I use high quality products?

My Civic is a family car, but I'm doing things to boost power and mpg. I started with a K&N filter and a induction 3/4" spacer. I plan on going to a forced air induction, getting rid of the air box. After that I'd love to change either the intake manifold or the headers going back to a larger free flowing exhaust, but keeping the sound down.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
Tom Johnson
tjohn5401@att.net

Deezy

silent partner
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
In my opinion, the only fluid that needs to be Honda, is the power steering...The viscosity and density of this fluid is different from others, and will prevent failure...

rawze

i use royal purple motor oil and tranny fluid. i use and always have used lucas fuel additive.

Wax Hands

Smell my finger
Registered VIP
First thing if you have a family and its your only car leave it alone mostly. Just continue maintenance and use recommended fluids.

You dont have to Honda fluids but use whatever ever fluid has the matching type designations.