Hood locks, but doesn't close. Help?

Crydius

5+ Year Member
Alright, so I just bought my first Civic. 1994 EX. Has the SOHC VTEC D16Z6.

However, it's pretty beat up and rusty, so it's going to be a beater until I can find a flawless 2 Door.

But, the hood locks when you drop it, but it does not close all the way. It's popped, and the only thing holding it down is the hood release bar in front of the hatch.

I think I've concluded that it's the hatch itself not locking when it's pushed down all the way? Or it's just not getting down all the way. I can't even push it down and lock with my hand or a bar or anything.

Any suggestions?

Crydius

5+ Year Member
Little bit of PB Plaster and tough love made it work. Perfect fit to the bumper too.

Looks awesome. Now to do something about the sunburned paint.

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
its a fairly common problem with these cars. the release cable will bind after a while or in my case mine was kinked. look at the latch and look straight down. you should see the cable with a lever on it. (mine had a green spacer on it) push the lever all the way to the right with your finger and then close the hood. should close all the way now.

Crydius

5+ Year Member
Thanks, that's exactly the problem!
Now I know how to fix it.

It was kind of funny, I went to go show my friend how it wasn't closing, and it happened to work for the first time and had a perfect fit to the bumper. I'm really happy.

But now I have a ton of stuff to fix. The only REAL working thing is the sunroof.