Hood rattles

black96civic

5+ Year Member
Ok, I've got a problem..When I stop somewhere and my car idles, it makes my hood rattle. I stopped in my yard and popped the hood, and released it off the latch, and it stopped, dropped it back down to the latch and it began again..Any suggestions on how to stop this rattle?

C.F. Freak

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Do you have hood pins? If you do, are you sure it's the latch and not the hood pins?

imracin101

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
adjust the rubber hood things...dont know what there called

dogg4217

Banned
black96civic said:
No, I dont have hood pins, its the oem hood
Make sure the bolts are tight on the latch and hood arms that connect the hood to the car. There should also be two black bump stops located on the core support that sit the hood flush with the fender body lines. If you have an intake is that touching the hood if so adjust the intake pipe down. :rocker: :rocker:

DaGFTDOne

Car Audio Guru
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
imracin101 said:
adjust the rubber hood things...dont know what there called
Best description would be the rubber hood studs on the core support that the front of the hood rests on... maybe that is easier to explain it

black96civic

5+ Year Member
Ok, Ill try these things tommorow, Thanks guys. It's embarrasing when you stop and it rattles..haha

96greencivic

#1 in the Atlantic!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have the same problem. I hope it's a simple fix as FireEMT8572 says.

EG_CaSe

ScAre CrOw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
is it OEM honda?? if not u may need to use some kinda metal Qourk (SP?) i had this problem with my 90 hatch it wasnt OEM honda and they didnt use enuff glue or what ever it is and i had to do it myself..

EG_CaSe

ScAre CrOw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
black96civic said:
Yeah the hood is OEM

well check the rubber stoppers like they said, also check the bolts that hold the hood latch, not the release latch the ones in the back that hole the hood.. also you might wanna check your mounts, maybe one or some are no good and there causeing this..

96greencivic

#1 in the Atlantic!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
black96civic said:
Ok, Ill try these things tommorow, Thanks guys. It's embarrasing when you stop and it rattles..haha
Yeah, it's really annoying. It's one of those simple things that really bother me.

da1andonlydjr

5+ Year Member
i have a similar problem... i initially adjusted the rubber stoppers, but that wasn't enough... check to make sure ur hood is sitting straight. mine dips down slightly on the passenger side, and lifts up slightly on the driver side... actually i found out that its from leaving the hood open, it can actually cause the hood to lean to one side , making it rattle when ur cars idling.. i agree its VERY ANNOYING If you have a Haynes manual it'll tell u how to adjust the hood.. hope this helps