How bad is it?

SnowCivic

5+ Year Member
Alright guys, I don't post much, but any help would be awesome. I'm having two main problems with my car and nobody seems to know the problem.

1- When I put the car in reverse, and put it near full crank in either direction, I get a really loud squealing noise. It only recently started and it goes away as soon as I put it into drive.

and

2-As I'm driving down the street, I get a really loud metal on metal noise coming from the driver side wheel. It doesn't go away unless I stop the car. I've been told it could be a bearing but I'm clueless.

I drive a 2000 EX if that helps anyone. Thanks for any help though.

Modest Throttle

Registered VIP
Problem 2...i'm having the same problem on my 99 dx hatch. I'm taking it in tomorrow to my mechanic to have it looked at. I'll pm you once I know the prognosis. As for problem 1...I know my 5 speed makes a whining noise in reverse which is normal, but seeing as yours is automatic, I'm not sure I can help with that one.

mahalo

formerly egninesallday
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
im no mechanic but problem 1 sounds like a belt?

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i think the metal on metal sound might be your axel. does your vibrate at all? i had a metal on metal sound and really bad vibration that kept getting worse so i took it in and it was my passenger side cv axel and my mechanic said it broke into pieces when he took it out.