How difficult is a B-series swap?

dnunit

Banned
I have very little automotive experience and the only thing I know how to do is install a CAI lol :lol:
Anyway, I'm thinking of swapping a B16A into my 5th gen Civic and I have never done an engine swap before and I have no idea how to do one. Anyway, if I read an instruction manual, bought the right tools, and carefully followed the directions where the parts go, etc. can it be done or would I have to go to mechanic school or do lots of research first?

I know this might seem like a silly and stupid question for some of you guys out there, but hey, everyone has to start somewhere.

BRAK54

come getcha some
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
its cake man

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It depends on your experience. For someone who just knows how to install a CAI, yeah it might be hard. For someone who installs parts and works on their car all the time, not so hard, just takes some time. My advice is to get someone with mechanical experience to help you. A shop would charge you out the ass to put it in. Just get some friends, a couple days, and a 6 pack and go at it :thumbs up

RedLine42

High Speed
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah a swap by your self with no knowledge or experience of swapping motors is going to be difficult.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
For someone with little knowledge, it will probably be quite difficult.

But if you understand the basic concept of an engine bay, what's inside and how they're all connected, how to do a swap in general, and have the tools, I'm sure it would be easy.

slowhatch

torque?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if you do go through with the swap, try to memorize what wires go where, or better yet label them. its pretty straightforward because the plugs will only plug into their counterparts. the only thing you will need is time, 10, 12, 14, and 17mm sockets and an engine hoist.

GoDave!

slowhatch said:
if you do go through with the swap, try to memorize what wires go where, or better yet label them. its pretty straightforward because the plugs will only plug into their counterparts. the only thing you will need is time, 10, 12, 14, and 17mm sockets and an engine hoist.
get those sizes in swivel as well:lol:

No matter how experienced you are, it is highly recommended you have someone with you for the swap. Not just for helping get certain parts in/out but for being as safe as possible. It's always nice to have some extra eyes and hands nearby.

GoDave!

slowhatch said:
swivel!? shoot i did it old school, sockets, wrenches, and busted knuckles lol
haha... and skin like the grand canyon

Inigo Montoya