How Do I Avoid Killing My Battery While Car Turned Off And Stereo On?

Jasdip

5+ Year Member
Hey Guys,

How would I avoid killing my battery while my car is turned off and I have the music on? Would hooking a car battery charger up to the battery and plugging that in do the trick, or are there any other ways of doing this? This would be used if the car is going to be used for music while just sitting around to avoid having to leave the engine started..

Thanks!

cujo613

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
get a bigger battery

K2_civic

Fo-drizzle!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
are you using your bass and stereo at a carshow or just hanging out with friends? why are you doing this and then we can help? how much are you willing to spend?

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Here's an 18 watt solar charger.

That sucks for powering a system though.

How about a second battery and an isolator?

That sucks for putting another 45lbs on your car.

How about you go get a boombox and jam out 70's stylee?

Melt

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
haha im loving the pic of the ghetto blaster

Civic11

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Upgrade your battery to an Optima blue top or yellow top. They are deisgned more like NiCad Batteries and are capable of decharging and recharging without killing cells. A standard auto battery used usually a sealed lead battery and these don't decharge and recharge without killing cells.

I had an Optima in my Passport and went to the drive-in with my car off and played the movie from my stereo. People around me loved it bcause they had bass and a more like surround sound feel from the movie. A guy thought forsure my battery would be dead, but once the movie was out I started my car right up!

I did the big three upgrade too, but not sure if that the reason, but that is all I did to my system..

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
On a good battery, you should be able to go several hours before it dies. Our van has an interstate battery (green ones) and I used to go to drive-in movie theaters with my ex and her friends and we watched Star Wars. Car fired up fine after the movie, no problems. Let it run for about 15 minutes, recharge, turned it back on to accessories, and watched another movie.

My civic has the Walmart battery and I've gone around 2 hours of having accessories on and listening to music while I cleaned my car. Fired up fine too. That was not too long ago too. I've had the battery for 1-2 years now..?

Just get a new battery if yours isn't lasting too long.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You'd be lucky to get more than 2 years out of a WalMart battery in the Southwest.

I strongly discourage buying a NEverStart battery from Wally World.

Heat kills batteries and we have the shortest battery lifespans.

Jasdip

5+ Year Member
Well my battery is really bad, it dies within minutes if I listen to music with the car off...even if i leave my headlights on (HID's) for about 5 min, the battery will die...sometimes if i'm listening to music loud and come to a stop and turn the car off without letting it run for a minute, it won't start up again either....but since its manual transmission, a good old push start does the trick...i'm usually careful though....

I would put in a bigger battery and replace the old one but I don't think it'll fit in the same spot, or will it? (I have a 2005 civic SI, canadian model..which is the 2005 Civic EX in the US) I don't really want to add another battery to the back of the car or anythin and have to wire that in and have to spend a lot of money on this...plus I think it would die pretty quick anyways if i'm listening to the music turned up loud and for a long period of time since my system draws quite a bit of power (ex. sittin around with buncha ppl and just pounding the music) I can't leave the car started because when we're usally in my wharehouse when I would ever do this, we jus pull the car in and close the garage door and the exhaust fumes just wouldn't be healthy lol...

but ya, there are plugs in there, I was looking for a way to just "plug the system in" so it would have power that way, rather than use the battery...

By the way, I have 2 Kaption Audio SPL-1200 subs with a Pheonix Gold Tantrum 1200.1 amp..and a 1 farad Pheonix Gold capacitor....the system draws quite a bit of power...

Ag00Civic

5+ Year Member
You'll just have to order a 51R group size battery from Optima, get a yellow top. They'll run you a steep $150-$200, sometimes cheaper but most batteries just jumped in price because now is the season when everyone needs them. You can order them from anywhere, O'Reilly's, Pep Boys, Advance, Napa...etc

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
i still have the stock battery on my 04 and it's about to be 3 1/2 years using it to play music while i wash the car and dry it and detail it every weekend for hours and hours, and fires right up and still has a solid green eye of charge. andi live in cali... but i guess it also depends what you have hooked up as well and how loud you have the music bumpin'....

senatE

Titanium Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i used to have 4 gauge running my system and now that i have 0 gauge my battery dies within a hour. on 4 i could run forever with no probs.

95SiDanO

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i would just get a new battery to play it safe..I trust Optima the most

Jasdip

5+ Year Member
I just picked up an Optima yellow top 51R for $230 (CDN), getting it installed tomorrow when the car goes in for service...we'll see how it goes...however, i just read a few posts on other forums about the 51R having problems...wat do u guys have to say about that?

lewis_lsi

5+ Year Member
hook your car up 2 a mains :lol:
Get f**k loads of power capacitors?
keep a spare battery? (most sesible idea from myself lol)

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
don't they sell like little power generators that work for cars?