How do I disconnect the heating/cooling control lights? (I have a short)

ErickH

Just a Honda driver
Civic Hybrid 2005. All small lights (tail lights, interior lights, heating/cooling control lights, and (I think) parking lights) are protected by fuse #3, 10A, in the under-hood fuse box. The fuse blows whenever I turn on the parking lights. This is bad because the local constabulary takes a dim view of people driving around without tail lights.

In an attempt to diagnose the problem, I have disconnected every light in the rear of the car, the parking lights on both sides, and all headlights except the primary one on the driver's side (which is a b***h to reach). The fuse still blows when I turn on the parking lights (which, as I mentioned, have been disconnected.) That just leaves the interior lights and heating/cooling controls to disconnect. The interior lights are probably not the issue since they aren't governed at all by the parking light/headlight switch. That leaves the heating/cooling control lights. My suspicion at this point is that something about those lights is shorting and I would like to disconnect them to see if that resolves the problem, but I don't know how to do that. Any hints?

I would also appreciate suggestions about other things to try to figure out what the problem is.

Thanks for your help.

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
You will have to remove the dash covers for the controls to access the connectors. Also visually inspect and wiring harness where you can. I am no electrical genius but it does sounds like a short.