How do I fix this rear bracket?

Anthony_76

5+ Year Member
My friend is telling me it's going to be a lot of work, I have to disassemble the whole rear end, springs, ect. Can I just cut these off another car? Can I buy them new? How hard of a job is it to switch these out? Other people are telling me to sell the car, I don't know what to do.
Guys please help me.

sr6000

still a D
Find the best welder/fabricater you can and have them build/rebuild that area or scrap it. Don't unload that dangeous garbage on someone without telling them

Anthony_76

5+ Year Member
Sorry I don't have that kind of money, so that is out of the question.
Can I just cut the brackets off another car?
read my questions above.

cvcrcr99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Rear subframe, which is welded on looks torn out. Not good. I wouldn't drive that car until it is fixed.

To answer your question you have to be pretty f**king amazing to cut those out of a donor, then weld it in your car without completely ruining the alignment in the back.

Go to a welder that can help, or part the car out.

sr6000

still a D
no you cant just run a bead of weld across it. It will not have the flex it needs to move slightly and will crack the weld or around it.

I_GOT_BOOST

since 06
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok bro you keep asking the same question over and over in different forms.....plain and simple you need to bring it to a shop and have them fabricate a new setup or try to cut them out of another car and have them welded on.......in my opinion the amount of money you are going to waste on this is not worth it find yourself a car with like a blown motor or crashed lighlty like hood fender or bumper type deal and put your parts into it.....if not part the car out or sell it.........................

BUTT MAKE SURE IF YOU SELL YOU SHOW THE NEW BUYER EXACTLY WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS CAR

the end

Anthony_76

5+ Year Member
That's what I've been trying to find out, no one has any answers.
So what tools would I need to have them cut out of another car?

I_GOT_BOOST

since 06
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
a cut off wheel or a saw zaw...or how ever you call it....

they dont want you to do it because anytime you have something that is under an extreme load that is welded the chances of the welds failing are pretty high and you dont want to skimp out when it comes to suspension....

.the last thing you want to do is put yourself in danger just for a quick fix ........

or even worse someone else

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You have 2 options to fix it. Take it to a very well known and trusted welder/fabricator to attempt to fix it. It's probably fixable, but it'll take a lot of careful work. If it's not fixed correctly, even a decent hit on a pot hole could cause a pretty bad accident. Also if it's not fixed right, you could have alignment issues.

Your other option is to buy a whole new subframe and replace it. Probably the safest bet but not cheap or easy either. A new subframe online cost around $450-$500. It's not a simple remove old and install new one type of job either. I'm not 100% positive but I believe some parts of the subframe are at least tack welded onto the body.

Here's a picture of a new subframe.

Either way in order to fix this, you'll be spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I wouldn't drive it with how it is now. The subframe could sheer apart and you'll be left stuck where ever you are or worse, accident.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
in all my years of car work..I've never heard of that happening..even on old rusted mid-west cars the rear subframe is still intact..how do you think it happened?

Anthony_76

5+ Year Member
Anyones guess is as good as mine. The car was lowered 3" on lowering springs which is why I didn't discover the problem until after I bought it. If I would have known, I would have never bought it. My guess is it had a lot of abuse going over curbs and what not.

cvcrcr99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
in all my years of car work..I've never heard of that happening..even on old rusted mid-west cars the rear subframe is still intact..how do you think it happened?
My guess is someone had a big ol sway bar on it without a brace. Either that or damage was done to both sides by an accident or running something over.