How do I get better than 31 mpg?

nickenumbers

5+ Year Member
Okay, so I am a super nerd, let me just say that up front. I want to get better than 31 miles per gallon of gas.

Does anyone have any serious "cost effective" ideas on how to get more better fuel efficiency out of my 4 door 1998 Honda Civic LX?

Honda designed it for about 30-32 mpg I think. So, there is nothing wrong with it, I am just envious of the cars that can get 41 and 45 mpg.

Thanks for the ideas in advance.

hardcore97

Hard Core
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
make sure all basic maintenance is done on schedule. distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs, plug wires, etc

RonJ

Banned
The LX has the D16Y7 engine. Do you have an automatic or manual transmission? Is your 31 mpg from city, city/hwy mix, or hwy driving?

To get the best mileage, definitely keep the ignition system in perfect working order, fix all CEL codes, and drive like your grandma.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Don't drive like a d-bag either. If it's standard don't shift past like 2500, or 3k on a hill. And coast when you can. If you're going to be stopped for more than 15 seconds, turn the car off. 15 Seconds of idle = amount of gas to turn car over (though I've heard anywhere from 10-30 seconds).

And as stated before, keep up to date on maintenance. If my dog cannot out accelerate you from a stop, you are too heavy on the gas.

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Make sure your tire pressures are like around 35 psi. Have you tried grounding wires? Oh yeah, big thing: do not use a/c.

hardcore97

Hard Core
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Make sure your tire pressures are like around 35 psi. Have you tried grounding wires? Oh yeah, big thing: do not use a/c.
ac doesnt really affect anything they tested it on mythbusters

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Really? I must of missed that one, I know in my civic it slowed the motor down considerably i'd assume gas mileage would suffer....

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dude, my y7 used to get a good 35-38 MPG.

You just really have to baby it, shift no more than 3K, 5 gear cruise as much as possible. Also - don't always accerlate. Try to keep it at one constant speed. The engine uses less fuel when not accelerating.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I hated using AC in my car. It bogged and took so much gas.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
didn't they test it on like a F150 or something? test it on a 100hp civic and it'll make a big difference
Really? I must of missed that one, I know in my civic it slowed the motor down considerably i'd assume gas mileage would suffer....
yes, the drag from the compressor is very noticeable on a small motor

spark plugs, wires, distributor, tire pressure, exhaust system condition, air filter and intake condition, driving style, fuel system including injectors and filter, how much s**t is in your trunk and back seats - all make a difference in gas mileage

Last edited:

nickenumbers

5+ Year Member
You guys are great! Thanks for all the info... I will incorporate it all!

Except the one about "cover your car in clay and cut little dimples into it like a golf ball".. I will have to sleep on that one. LOL!

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I've heard freeing up the airflow (better intake, exhaust, header) will yield better gas mileage. Not sure if it's true.

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah....suck it.

they did test that. and at first they didnt think it did, but when they tested it it got about 50 laps less than the one without ac. it lowered it a lot
I hated using AC in my car. It bogged and took so much gas.
didn't they test it on like a F150 or something? test it on a 100hp civic and it'll make a big difference

yes, the drag from the compressor is very noticeable on a small motor

spark plugs, wires, distributor, tire pressure, exhaust system condition, air filter and intake condition, driving style, fuel system including injectors and filter, how much s**t is in your trunk and back seats - all make a difference in gas mileage

Ryanrpm

First, look at this list of aero mods, and do a few of them.

Second, put non-ethanol gas in your tank. Very few stations even sell it anymore. Even the 10% ethanol gas will cut a few mpg's from your car.

Third, Drive as if you didn't have any brakes. Using the brakes will cut off your momentum, and it took gas to get that momentum. Also shift at the lowest RPM your engine can handle without bogging down. Keep it below 2500rpm on the hwy.

4th, Do some simple engine mods: Spark plug drill out, fuel heater, hot air intake, water injection, tap the ozone from the distributor cap, O2 sensor wrap.....etc.

If you want to get into some combustion efficiency things, like fuel vapor systems, HHO, or ozone mods, look at this in order to maximize the gains.

speedjunkie_g35

I have always had better MPG just by using synthetic oil, quality spark plug wires and spark plugs ( NGK Platninum), a short ram intake.

Don't turn your car off when at lights, you add more wear and tear to your starter and your motor by turning it off for no reason. And you dont save fuel, you will use more.

cleanEJ6

Turn your car off if idling for more than 10 seconds? I'd expect more intelligent advice from an admin. Start your engine 20 times a day instead of 2 and replace your starter ten times sooner. This strategy might save you in gas, the cost of your starter replacement over a decade.........

Racinfan83

5+ Year Member
I am wondering this too. I get avg 31 city/hwy with the a/c on. 98 Civic coupe, auto. I have heard that a K&N air filter, platinum plugs, and 2" exhaust all the way out will help mileage. My car has a 2" through the cat and a round muffler, back to about the Right Rear wheel - where it has a bolted flange down to a 1 1/2" pipe and a second muffler. Why is this? Would I be better off to get rid of the 1 1/2" and the second muffler and go with 2" and a resonator tip? I don't want the thing loud at all but a low mellow sound would be ok if I got 4 or 5 more mpg... And if so - do they sell the pipe and resonator tip that would just bolt on to that flange?

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I have always had better MPG just by using synthetic oil, quality spark plug wires and spark plugs ( NGK Platninum), a short ram intake.

Don't turn your car off when at lights, you add more wear and tear to your starter and your motor by turning it off for no reason. And you dont save fuel, you will use more.
Use more fuel when the engine is off :what:?

Don't turn off the car at stoplights because yes you are adding significant wear. The extra fuel consumed at idle is insignificant. Driving more slowly and relaxed is you best bet