How do i seal my valve cover?

dyce590

True Life:I drive a Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i recently bought a new valve cover with a new gasket. according to my haynes book i need to put rubber sealant somewhere.. the book wasnt straight forward so can someone tell me where to apply the sealant or show me a diagram?

BlackHopeDC5

Is Black Again??? :shock:
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hmmmm from what i remember when i took my valve cover off the sealant was between the valve cover and the gasket just put small amounts of it to keep the seal on the top cover

Shaguar47

EM1 ADCT
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I believe it's only 4 corners that need it. If you are completely not sure at all, just take off the current valve cover and look for some bond residue. That'll tell ya where!

dyce590

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yea, the diagram in the haynes book showed 4 corners (block shaped parts of the gasket). does the sealant go between the VC and the gasket or between the gasket and the cylinder head?

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
between the gasket and the head and on the four corners.

civic98turbo

I'm back ....
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
"hondabond" is what is recommended.....but you can use just normal gasket sealer...in the corners by the cam gear and the distributor.....and dip your finger in oil and put it all over the gasket surface where its gonna meet the head

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
hmm...I didnt do that when i did mine...so that could be the reason why i have some oil on my block......

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Honda's PDF, page 6-23 even says about the valve cover seal, "Apply liquid gasket at the four corners of the recesses."

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Genuine Rolla said:
hmm...I didnt do that when i did mine...so that could be the reason why i have some oil on my block......
Duht-duh-duh (or however you spell it....)

:laugh:

My VC gasket is starting to go, Im slowly slowly leaking oil....

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I just replaced my valve cover and didn't re-seal anything...I could still see plenty of sealant on the gasket though. No leakage so far :lol:

Jmoto911

Built, not bought.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Everytime I read this thread title I read "How do I steal a valve cover?" .... It keeps playing tricks on me!

--<EM1>--

boosted ftw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hondabond ftw. putting the liquid sealer between the cover and gasket is what youre supposed to do. you can put it all around the cover if you like to ensure proper seal. i noticed that on the front and around the cam seals is where it leaks the most IF any.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i'll have to do that when im redoing my valve cover with wrinke paint this week....i just thought you put on the gasket and you're good to go...haha. glad i learned that.

dyce590

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
haha, i found my dads "elmer's rubber sealant" in my garage and i was ready to use that. glad i didnt.let me get this right for all the people who are still kind of confuzed:
sealant goes:
between VC and gasket
4 corners (and front if need be)
rub oil on the gasket where it meets the head

97-ferio

5+ Year Member
you put the sealant anywhere where there is an angle on the cylinder head...basically, on an SOHC there will be four spots where you apply the sealant...(eight spots on a DOHC)...two on the side near the dizzy, and two on the side near the cam sprocket. they're like 90 degree angles. the "rim" of the cylinder head angles up at these points because this is where the camshaft passes under. i wish i had a picture to show you, it'd be a lot easier to explain, hahaha. and, for sealant, you can use Hondabond...they sell it at InlineFour.com /// or, you can also use a high temp silicone sealant, that's what i did, and it works fine. i'll try and find a pic for you though...or, just take a pic of your cylinder head with the VC off, and i'm sure someone will be able to show you where to put the sealant at. and when you apply the sealant at each spot, you only will need a little bit. best of luck to you.:D

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Here, this is exactly what Honda says to do.

97-ferio

5+ Year Member
here's some pics...please ignore the white arrow on the first pic...i used this pic for another example somewhere else...the red arrows point to the area that needs sealant applied to it (sealant is applied to the VC gasket...only on the spots that cover the areas marked by the arrows)...on the second pic, picture my engine with the VC off, and that's the four areas that need sealant applied to it. hope this helps.

...sorry for the crappy pics.;)

97-ferio

5+ Year Member
snap, someone beat me to it while i was posting my pics. thanks NOFX.:D good deal...the diagram above my previous post is a perfect example...good luck mang.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
97-ferio said:
snap, someone beat me to it while i was posting my pics. thanks NOFX.:D good deal...the diagram above my previous post is a perfect example...good luck mang.
:lol: Sorry about that. Maybe the diagrams in my post are a little clearer though. I thought it'd help since it's from the manual. :thumbs up

Hope it helps whoever needs it.