How do you tighten power bands?

Ls-HatchBoy

Honda Whore
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have a S4 tranny, and what i believe is my powerbands have losened up somehow, if you can let me know how to tighten them without taking it to a shop let me know? or is it just one of those things that you have to take it to a shop.

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i'm not sure what you mean?

Ls-HatchBoy

Honda Whore
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
To tell you the truth... i dont know jack about trannys, but i was talking to my roommate and said it could be the powerbands. I guess they are bands that go around the gearing? im going with a diff. set up anyway... in a eg hatch anyway sooo... much more power.... and around 10psi of boost depending....

panda

D-series soldier
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
lol.. i think the power band is when the engine is at it's peak ability.. it doesnt really all happen in the tranny.. it deals with both.. that is what it is.. lol.. the only way you could lose your power band is something happening to your engine lol..

Ls-HatchBoy

Honda Whore
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Could be, but like i said im selling the car so dosnt matter. Im going with a LS trans, Gsr block with a b16a head. Im shootin for a decent reliable boosted car.

Ls-HatchBoy

Honda Whore
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well its def. the trans after you romp on it so to speak, you can keep driving then it will just pop out of gear, not literally though. It stays in gear, but dosnt go anywhere, and i figured maybe the pressure plate is possible. At first i thought it was the shifting fork, but if it was it would pretty much be Fuked.

panda

D-series soldier
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you know how your going down the road.. and you punch it in like 3rd gear and from 2k -> 4k it's not really doing anything then 4k-6k it's pushing you back in the seat.. then 6k -> up it's not doing anything.. 4-6k would be your powerband.. it's when the car is making the most power

Ls-HatchBoy

Honda Whore
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
noo i know what a powerband is, its not that. LIterally it wont go anywhere you have to stop, pull it outta gear and put it back in gear then it will go again. sometimes you can pull it out then coast then put it back in gear? and LSV i would but the car will be getting sold here in the next week or i would. Im going to get a bubble/ eg, whatever their called now.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Bands were used in automatic transmissions.

The last fwd auto transmission I can remember with externally adjustable bands was the Chrysler A413.

A lot of new electronic transmissions don't even have bands. If they do, the computer does all the adjustments.