How hard is it to change a synchro in a 5 speed

68Camaro

Respected
Hello guys and thanks for checking out my thread. So recently I picked up a 6th gen civic with a d16y8 and 5speed manual. And I've had issues shifting into second. So yesterday I was testing it out to make 100% sure. I was driving around at my dads shop( I'm 15 and before anyone asks, yes I can drive manual correctly [emoji12]) and it was fine at low rpm . But then I got on it a little bit 1st gear up to approxamitly 6k then went to shift hard into 2nd and nothing. To me it sounds like the synchro . And it has the miles to make me think so (140k ish) . So Im pretty good with my hands , so I believe I could fix it. And if I had to, my dad could help me since he has been into cars wayyy before I was born and learned everything I know from him. But anyway, I looked around and couldent see many pics of it being done or videos. So what's the easiest way to do it? I have access to a full lift bay and all the tools I could need. I'm thinking pull the whole motor and tranny out and completely rebuild it since I'm planning on a swap. Just want to have some opinions . Thanks guys,
Nick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Use our search function to find the free download for the 1996-2000 Civic service manual and that should help. Good luck.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You didn't look to hard there are thousands of tranny builds for the d series alone, add b series and any other type of tranny and I bet there are a billion. Look into syncrotech for repair parts and download the fsm as mentioned, maybe even log onto d-series.org and make a post asking for help from transzex (after you have done some good research) he builds honda transmissions for a living.

There's a lot to working on a transmission, splitting the case apart can be a b***h then you have to take apart the gear stacks to get to each individual part that needs replaced. It's not a job for a newcomer unless you have cash and time to be willing to throw away if you ruin the tranny.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
is not a hard job to do. But if you are not even remotely mechanically inclined do not preform this job yourself. You can easily reassembly something upside down and cause catastrophic damage to the transmission. Pay very close attention to the service manual an look closely at every single part. Lay them all out one by one in order of installation.

I have rebuild dozens of Honda transmissions and to this day still do it the same on each one. Even though I personally can put the parts in a box mix them up and pull them all out and reorganize them properly. its only because of years of experience. All it takes is one missing syncro spring and you are not shifting into X gear or it's not staying into gear.

Again if you have any doubt and are not prepared to execute this work 100% perfectly, don't do it.

68Camaro

Respected
Thanks guys! Im mechanically inclined, built most of the camaro by myself and all of the work on my civic was done by me. Im a perfectionist , and when I do something wrong it will drive me insane , so I try my absolute best. It seems to be personal preference from my research , but I can assume it is easier to pull the trans and motor out from on top then pulling the subframe out the bottom?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Ya you can pull it all out from the top, or support the engine and pull the transmission from the bottom easily. I can have the tranny out in record 21 minutes, with power tools.

68Camaro

Respected
Ya you can pull it all out from the top, or support the engine and pull the transmission from the bottom easily. I can have the tranny out in record 21 minutes, with power tools.
Dang that's impressive! What's the best way to support it from the bottom?

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Dang that's impressive! What's the best way to support it from the bottom?
Use a jack on the bottom and strap around the support bar on the top. You can do it solo but easier to do with two.