How hard is it to Install HIDs?

mcnabb_nfl

5+ Year Member
Just got some 5k HIDs from ddmtuning.com. I also ordered the relay harness... How hard is it going to be to install these things? Anybody happen to have instructions for an EK civic (99).

Thanks guys

yamaharider324

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I ordered mine 6k hi/los from ddm tuning and had no problems installing mine. They come with instructions which seem a little vague but are distinguishable and once installed work very well. I also didn't purchase the relay harness as it was not needed on my 98 ex, goodluck with the install.

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
there are tons od DIY videos on youtube. and if your car didn't come with hids its recommended you use a relay harness to prevent possible melting of stock wires.

yamaharider324

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
there are tons od DIY videos on youtube. and if your car didn't come with hids its recommended you use a relay harness to prevent possible melting of stock wires.
really? i've had mine on my car for almost a year now with over 15,000 miles of them being on and no problems

mcnabb_nfl

5+ Year Member
So where does the relay harness come into play in the installation process?

1997EK

1997 Civic DX (EJ6)
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So where does the relay harness come into play in the installation process?
The harness has its own fuse and it basically bypasses your car's original headlight wiring, that way if anything does go wrong with your HIDs, you don't blow your factory circuit.

Essentially, you hook the harness right up to your battery. Then it connects to each ballast, and then each ballast connects to each bulb. The only connection between the harness and your stock wiring will be one original bulb plug to act as an on/off trigger from your headlight switch in the car.

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
really? i've had mine on my car for almost a year now with over 15,000 miles of them being on and no problems
your cars stock wiring was never meant for HIDs just because nothing has happened yet doesn't mean it can't . when you get your kit it will come with instructions its actually very simple to install it just seems overwhelming.

1997EK

1997 Civic DX (EJ6)
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I remember being just as nervous before I got my HIDs in the mail. I wasn't 100% sure how to hook everything up. But once they came and I had everything laid out in front of me, it all clicked for me. Installed them with no problems whatsoever. Good luck OP!

yamaharider324

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
your cars stock wiring was never meant for HIDs just because nothing has happened yet doesn't mean it can't . when you get your kit it will come with instructions its actually very simple to install it just seems overwhelming.
the kit i bought from ddm tuning was the NON slim ballast kit, i forget the name of it and it came with its own wiring harness with a fuse and hooks directly to my battery, maybe it came it with it and i didnt notice?

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
apexcone raptor kit and if it hooks directly to the battery then you have a relay harness. DDM has always had shipping problems some people get extra stuff for free maybe you were one of them.

yamaharider324

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
possibly and OP sorry for the threadjack, but if you do have the relay harness as i guess i have the installation is pretty simple, just take your time with everything

mcnabb_nfl

5+ Year Member
The harness has its own fuse and it basically bypasses your car's original headlight wiring, that way if anything does go wrong with your HIDs, you don't blow your factory circuit.

Essentially, you hook the harness right up to your battery. Then it connects to each ballast, and then each ballast connects to each bulb. The only connection between the harness and your stock wiring will be one original bulb plug to act as an on/off trigger from your headlight switch in the car.
Thanks, that was exactly what I wanted to know

1997EK

1997 Civic DX (EJ6)
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
apexcone raptor kit and if it hooks directly to the battery then you have a relay harness. DDM has always had shipping problems some people get extra stuff for free maybe you were one of them.
I was lucky enough to get an extra harness for free when I ordered bulbs from them lol. Hey, I won't complain! :D

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
They are plug and play kits. Even if the instructions are left out of the box, they are pretty idiot proof.

1997EK

1997 Civic DX (EJ6)
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Mount the ballast on a fender or core support with a self tapper screw. Easy.
I used 3M adhesive pads on the back of my ballasts. They've been securely mounted that way for 2 years now, no problems.

mcnabb_nfl

5+ Year Member
I used 3M adhesive pads on the back of my ballasts. They've been securely mounted that way for 2 years now, no problems.
do those pads just stick on? they are sticky on both sides? Where did you get the 3m pads?