How long should a clutch install take?

Suanico

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
my pressure plate or throw out bearing is sqeeking when i depress it and its f**ken bugging me so im going to buy a clutch kit, flywheel, tranny mount, and rear main seal and have them put in, the one shop i called quoted 7 hours of labor, i dont f**ken think it will take 7 hours to replace a clutch on a civic, my coworker got his replaced in 2 hours by my friend that use to live here but has moved out of state, realistically how much should i pay? and how long do you think it will take them? im thinking $250 just in labor

si-hatch86

undesputed slowhatch
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i paid 200 once and i know now it was too much. its not hard. shouldn't take more than an hour unless incompetent

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Why don't you do it yourself, I'd pay someone $250 if I didn't want to do it, but It will seriously easier to just pull the motor if you don't have a lift, and yes, that way it will take over 7 hours.

Suanico

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Why don't you do it yourself, I'd pay someone $250 if I didn't want to do it, but It will seriously easier to just pull the motor if you don't have a lift, and yes, that way it will take over 7 hours.
well it was a shop that quoted me, and i would attempt to do it myself if i didn't live in an apartment

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It shouldnt take more than an hour or so. Car up on stands, unbolt ball joint, pop axels out (drain fluid first), unbolt tranny, and drop it out. Its actually pretty easy.... I mean I wouldnt pay anyone to do it, when you could DIY for way cheaper.....if you were closer, I'd do it for a 12 pack of beer and food. :lol:

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you're taking it to a place that knows hondas well it should only take about 3hrs or so. Mine was done in about 2hrs as well and I only paid $150

Suanico

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
If you're taking it to a place that knows hondas well it should only take about 3hrs or so. Mine was done in about 2hrs as well and I only paid $150
thats what im thinking, plus some shop owes me a discount on my next repair because their mechanic dropped a wrench on my fender and chipped it, so im hoping they say $250 and then i will remind them about the discount they owe me and they'll bring it down to under $200

Suanico

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
It shouldnt take more than an hour or so. Car up on stands, unbolt ball joint, pop axels out (drain fluid first), unbolt tranny, and drop it out. Its actually pretty easy.... I mean I wouldnt pay anyone to do it, when you could DIY for way cheaper.....if you were closer, I'd do it for a 12 pack of beer and food. :lol:
f**k i wish, i got no connections like that down here, i had a sweet hook up on labor, then my friends shop went under new management and the new manager is there 24-7 and inspects all paper work, camera footage and everything, so f**ken whack, atleast i still got the hook up on free gaskets and 25% discount on honda parts

Sammo115

It be me, Sammo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my brother did it by himself in 2hrs in a small ass apartment garage. all he used was a jack to slowly bring the tranny down.

funny how I just sat there watching and didnt do s**t lol.

Suanico

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Well i got my clutch on today, a reputable shop on the otherside of town not the rathole i was first going to take it because even though they only wanted $200 they wated to keep my car overnight just in case they didn't finish by close and i didn't trust that s**t, so my buddy knew the owner of a clean shop across town that would do it for $200 under the table so i got it done today with a new oem flywheel/rear main seal/ and axle seals, im glad that annoying squeaking sound os gone and that rear main seal leak has stopped but my clutch pedal is so f**ken soft now is that normal?

slowcivic E G

bla bla bla
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you just got an oem replacement clutch it is very possible for it to be soft, maybe try bleeding your clutch, it may not fix it, but it cant hurt anything.

xxsenceo89x

aka superman
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
s**t i did mine in 4 or 5 hours and i thought i was doing good.

its not hard. only hard part is the inputshaft into the clutch

Suanico

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
if you just got an oem replacement clutch it is very possible for it to be soft, maybe try bleeding your clutch, it may not fix it, but it cant hurt anything.
yeah oem replacement, oe flywheel too all brand new, but they pulled an oe clutch out of there and that s**t had a stiff pedal for some reason?

Suanico

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member

i dont have the space or the smarts to di it myself, but if i had a garage i would attempt, im not a honda mastermind like yourself :(

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
some dude said it shouldnt take more than an hour... i lol'd

it should take anywhere from 3-7 hours depending on the tools you have

Hkarmy

Kushboy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
And that is only if you have all the tools and don't run into problems i ran into a couple when i did it with my buddy but we went auto zone like 5 times haha

neoc03

I CRAVE CORNERS
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i paid 200 once and i know now it was too much. its not hard. shouldn't take more than an hour unless incompetent
:word:

Lol really? You can do a clutch job on the ground with no air-tools in under an hour? I guess I'm incompetent.

99CivicSiBrian

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

Agreed. In that time I also changed the flywheel, and rear main seal. I used a torque wrench on the important s**t. Oh I think I also changed my oil, topped off the tranny, and tightened the coolant line going to the turbo.
B

Suanico

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
new clutch?!?!? i want one!!!
It was very worth it, soft clutch pedal again, easy on my leg, no squeaking noise when i let it out, no leak from the rear main seal, no hesitation going uphill because of the tires out flywheel!