How much boost can d16y8 hold?

J-l3oi

5+ Year Member
i was thinking about just turbocharging my civic for the hell of it , i don't wanna push to much on my motor, just want it for looks and little performance.

how much do you think i can hold on a ALL STOCK MOTOR d16y8

5PSI????

bensmoore

5+ Year Member
no more than 10 if you want it to last for a while

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well it depends...

Your Y8 probably wouldn't even hold 1lb of boost on say... Borg Warner s372r without blowing up (assuming it would even spool a turbo that big)

On the counter note, it could hold 35lbs of boost on a turbo the size of a pop can all day long.

You're asking a very common, yet retarded question. You need to know specifics on turbo size before you go asking how much boost will it hold.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
what phantom said. if his response confuses you, i suggest you learn more about turbocharged systems first.

civicturbo91

professional bitchslapper
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
just to give you an idea. i ran a t3/t4 on my stock d on 8 psi with a good tune. i personally didnt have the balls to push more than 8.

kaylor99

5+ Year Member
a buddy of mine ran 7 psi on his y8 for 2 years and sold it with no problems. I wouldnt go much over that because d series are notorious for their weak rods. Good tune is important to tho. How many miles does your motor have?

1Lowcoupe

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i was thinking about just turbocharging my civic for the hell of it , i don't wanna push to much on my motor, just want it for looks and little performance.

how much do you think i can hold on a ALL STOCK MOTOR d16y8

5PSI????
Because a turbo looks sooo cool under the hood of your car, who cares about performance?

spoon egg

Teeth Doctor
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if you didnt research to begin with, i dont think you should even turbo your car.

J-l3oi

5+ Year Member
thanks for all the advice,
but i sure didnt ask for all the other opinions.

i was just curious to see if anyone else did the same thing to their car and was hoping to do the same thing.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hey man, you ask a stupid question and you get a stupid answer. This site is packed with info on turbo builds. If you come along and expect to be spoon fed by guys who have done their research and have the knowledge, then one can expect answers like this. Also, any forced induction question like this should be posted in the forced induction section of the forum.

Ive never heard anything like:
"i was thinking about just turbocharging my civic for the hell of it , i don't wanna push to much on my motor, just want it for looks and little performance" in my life. If you want a little performance, try a 50 shot.

People like us have bled,sweated,saved up, and researched for our power goals and our builds.

Now, with all that being said, do you understand where everyone is coming from when u post something like that?

00 Coupe EK3

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thanks for all the advice,
but i sure didnt ask for all the other opinions.

i was just curious to see if anyone else did the same thing to their car and was hoping to do the same thing.
Those opinions were given because you asked a dumb question. To ask how much boost a motor can hold is way to wide open. You can take a gt series turbo and put it on 8 lbs and it wont take long to blow your motor. But you take a small t25 on 8 lbs and you can run it all day long.
What you shoulda asked is how much whp can your single cam take because then people wouldnt of corrected you.
If you stick around here you'll learn to realize you ask dumb or over repeated questions your gonna get flamed for it. If you cant get that well then your time here will be short lived. Read up on your turbo info. Googles there for a reason

00 Coupe EK3

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hey man, you ask a stupid question and you get a stupid answer. This site is packed with info on turbo builds. If you come along and expect to be spoon fed by guys who have done their research and have the knowledge, then one can expect answers like this. Also, any forced induction question like this should be posted in the forced induction section of the forum.

Ive never heard anything like:
"i was thinking about just turbocharging my civic for the hell of it , i don't wanna push to much on my motor, just want it for looks and little performance" in my life. If you want a little performance, try a 50 shot.

People like us have bled,sweated,saved up, and researched for our power goals and our builds.

Now, with all that being said, do you understand where everyone is coming from when u post something like that?
you beat me to it, pretty much said the same thing lol

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
just to give you an idea. i ran a t3/t4 on my stock d on 8 psi with a good tune. i personally didnt have the balls to push more than 8.
This is still irrelevant, t3/t4 what? whats the trim, compressor (inlet), turbine (discharge)?

Heres more info and some math for you.

Calculate airflow for the X axis: measured in lb/min, airflow = (HP target) x (air/fuel ratio) x (BSFC/60) where BSFC is lbs fuel / (hp x hr) If you don't have access to BSFC data, you can plug in an estimated value between .50-.60.

Calculate volumetric efficiency = (actual CFM / theoretical CFM) x 100 where theoretical CFM = (RPM x CID) / 3456 and actual CFM = 90%, a good average number if you don't have access to measuring this. Multiply by .0610237 to convert cubic centimeter displacement into cubic inches.

Calculate manifold absolute pressure: map = [(airflow) x (639.6) x (460 + intake temperature)] / (VE) x (RPM/2) x (CID) Upwards of 100 degrees F is a good estimate for intercooled intake temps if you don't have access to measuring this. Plan on adding about 1psi to take into account pressure drops related to the intake and/or intercooler.

Calculate pressure ratio for the Y axis = (14.7 + map) / 14.7 If you're at sea level, 14.7psi will work. As elevation varies, this figure will need to be adjusted.

Note: Don't worry about the constants like 3456, 60 or 639.6, they're simply there to tidy things up and convert units.

VE = volumetric efficiency
BSFC = brake specific fuel consumption
HP = projected flywheel horsepower
CFM = cubic feet per minute
CID = cubic inch displacement

Other useful calculations:

Trim = (minor/major)squared x 100

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Phantom tells the truth! See what research will do to you.. one day you can spit out info like Phantom here LOL

spoon egg

Teeth Doctor
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
oh yeah if you were still wonderin on how good sohc's are, i hit a 13.9 on a stock z6 with 7psi on a garret t3/t4.

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
oh yeah if you were still wonderin on how good sohc's are, i hit a 13.9 on a stock z6 with 7psi on a garret t3/t4.
Whats the trim, compressor (inlet), turbine (discharge)?

ANOTHER useless post.

I'm not even a turbo guy and I've been doing alot of research on it lately because I'm kind of tired of reading all these posts.

s_crowley 17

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Whats the trim, compressor (inlet), turbine (discharge)?

ANOTHER useless post.

I'm not even a turbo guy and I've been doing alot of research on it lately because I'm kind of tired of reading all these posts.
Hes right...

you cant just say t3/t4.. please specifiy...

spoon egg

Teeth Doctor
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
sorry i was at work, but like stated, it's a garret t3/t04 57trim, A/R is .48 exhaust and compressor is .60. i would have posted details earlier, i just don't want to be on clubcivic all day at work.