How much Can a d16y7 engine handle safely?

mkulrey13

5+ Year Member
In terms of boost, how much power can this engine hold? is it worth upgrading internals?

snoob

9k RPM and 1+ Lateral G
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
100000000 HP

if you are asking a question like this you need to be doing research. please search the forums for information pertaining to your motor about turboing...

Thanks.

hardcore97

Hard Core
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
d series rods arent the greatest. i wouldnt push them too far past 200 hp

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
mini me swap

codyllee

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have seen stock d series go to 260hp...im sure they dont last long though. Hardcore is about right 200-220hp

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
My friend was pushing 177WHEEL hp all motor on his Y8.

Why would you wanna fix up a Y7 though?

Coutts

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
a d16y7 block will handle 190whp all day every day 100% reliably wont fail, anything higher and you start risking throwing a rod. sure you can pull 240+whp out of them easily but they blow up real quick after that. 190 is your safe spot.

mkulrey13

5+ Year Member
Thanks just wondering since my hatch has this..im new to the JDM world please give me some time LOL

Coutts

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
udnerstandable lol. well you have to break stuff to learn stuff just remember that.

Scorchsta

huh?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
As I found out today, I wouldn't push more than 200. I was around that and threw a rod through my block.

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
If you wanna make it a quicker daily driver then just do Intake, Header and exhaust.

At the price of gas, I dont know why you would wanna decrease the gas mileage on a DD DX. You have your Cobalt as your weekend gas burner!

AirRideCivic

5+ Year Member
5-7 pounds of boost is considered reliable. anything more than that and you run a risk of blowing your motor.

hardcore97

Hard Core
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you wanna make it a quicker daily driver then just do Intake, Header and exhaust.

At the price of gas, I dont know why you would wanna decrease the gas mileage on a DD DX. You have your Cobalt as your weekend gas burner!
a header and an exhaust wont do that much on a d series. bolt ons dont do crap for them. if you want to make them fast forced induction is the way to go

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
a header and an exhaust wont do that much on a d series. bolt ons dont do crap for them. if you want to make them fast forced induction is the way to go
Itll give him the noise to make it seem as if it was faster.

umair

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you should run 170-180 WHP on pump gas and 190-200 WHP on race gas.