how much power do you think is in this setup

Tap it

NA is Best!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my buddy and i are putting this setup together for his hatch and were wondering/guessing how much power he might be making.
thought id ask you guys to see if your guesses are close to ours.

99 b20z block, stock internals
00 b16 head, light portwork & skunk2 cam gears
edelbrock victor intake and dc 4-2-1 header
gsr tranny, stage1 clutch, lightended flywheel

185hp 155tq ---- my guess
195hp 160tq ---- his guess
im not the greatest at guessing #'s so if you think your guess is better or worse tell me.
thanks.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
only one way to find out

Tap it

NA is Best!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yes thts true..
might not be dont building it for a week. then dropping it in and dyno time.
only time will tell

B16A2_CIVIC

Think. Feel. Drvie.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i say 150whp and 130 lb tq to the floor

anekin007

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
keep it out and built the bottom block so u dont have to go through the trouble of doing it later.

Exxel82

The Long Forgotten
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a friend that has the B20 Vtec setup with a stock bottom end and built head. Its at 195 Whp and 150 lbs of torque. And its daily driven. Not to mention that he has had this set up for about 3-4 yrs now, and its best was 12.9 in the quarter mile. I watched it first hand too.

jdmek9r

mRek9R
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ej6_faxanadu said:
my buddy and i are putting this setup together for his hatch and were wondering/guessing how much power he might be making.
thought id ask you guys to see if your guesses are close to ours.

99 b20z block, stock internals
00 b16 head, light portwork & skunk2 cam gears
edelbrock victor intake and dc 4-2-1 header
gsr tranny, stage1 clutch, lightended flywheel

185hp 155tq ---- my guess
195hp 160tq ---- his guess
im not the greatest at guessing #'s so if you think your guess is better or worse tell me.
thanks.
That intake manifold could cause you some problems. I think you're talking about this IM correct?
IF so, i would recommend you keep the stock b16 IM. This IM is not only too big for your application now, it'll rob you lots of low end and mid-range and just when you feel the nice jump in power at high RPM you fuel cut-off...

What's the compression ratio going to be in that setup? My guess is at least 165whp and 130tq.

Tap it

NA is Best!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
cant really read what it says on that one but its looks the exact same. vicotor x or something. ill check it out when i ged back over to his place.
should have around 10.5. to 1 compression.

he just wants to get it running for now, cuz hes using another friends car for a daily driver. otherwise, he would have spent the money on the bottem end and some good cams.

roaddogg3034

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
correct me if im wrong, but doesnt the b20 already have over 130 torque stock? so id guess it would have more. i have a b20 in my hatch right now and the torque on it is crazy. i can spin my wheels all the way to 5th gear =)

Tap it

NA is Best!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
roaddogg3034 said:
correct me if im wrong, but doesnt the b20 already have over 130 torque stock? so id guess it would have more. i have a b20 in my hatch right now and the torque on it is crazy. i can spin my wheels all the way to 5th gear =)
exaclty, thats why im saying the torque should be somewhere near 150 with the work done.

ill get some pics when i go over there later on.

jdmek9r

mRek9R
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
roaddogg3034 said:
no, b20bs are rated at 126hp and 133tq while the b20z is 146hp and 133tq. I hope you guys arent refering to the "crank horsepower and tq" figures because i'm talking about power at the wheels. The most i've ever seen, personally, on a straight b20/vtec is 162whp and 133tq. Usually it's in between 115-125. I can see built b20s making 175 +hp and 140+tq. 8)

Tap it

NA is Best!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
jdmek9r said:
no, b20bs are rated at 126hp and 133tq while the b20z is 146hp and 133tq. I hope you guys arent refering to the "crank horsepower and tq" figures because i'm talking about power at the wheels. The most i've ever seen, personally, on a straight b20/vtec is 162whp and 133tq. Usually it's in between 115-125. I can see built b20s making 175 +hp and 140+tq. 8)
B20B 2.0L 16V DOHC PGM-FI '97-'98 CR-V USDM HP 126@5400 TQ 133@4300
B20Z 2.0L 16V DOHC VTEC PGM-FI '98-'01 CR-V USDM HP 146@6400 TQ 143@4500

yeah the pwer your talking about at the wheels sounds about right +/- a little

JCrimson

www.jcrimson.com
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah roaddog, your torque is f' n' crazy. just think if you had vtec in it as well. s**t!!!!!

redstar98ex

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thats what we in new york call a frankenstein motor, its a mean setup, it handles boost like a motha when its fully built, theres a civic hatch running around here with a fully built one hes pushing 17psi 289 horse its alright.

my guesswould be anywhere from 185 to 210 horese power wise and maybe 165 to 195 flbs of torque.

bklynEG

FTW!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
jdmek9r said:
here's an excellent place to read about the b20s...8) CLICK HERE
good site altho some of that info is not completely accurate. i build motors for a living and i work at an importer, which gives me the chance to experiment with all jdm motors. i've come across quite a few variations of the b20's more that what is stated on that site. also i run a b20 vtec in my hatch.. i've built the 8.8:1, 9.2:1 and 9.6:1 blocks with vtec head and only ran into problems when adding high lift cams on the 9.6:1 blocks.