How should I recover my Civic from a wreck?

everymistake

Okay, so I spent my spring break thinking of possibilities of what I should do with my car. Remember this, I DO NOT plan on selling my Civic, so I won't be wronging anyone but myself. Here's a list of questions I have, hoping someone can enlighten my with all the possibilities of what I can do.

1.) The frame got bent, barely (right on the corner near the front drivers side), can I just sledge hammer it back as close as possible and put a new bumper, fender and hood on and make it all straight?

2.) What should I do about the air bags? Is it worth it to take it to a body shop to be restored, or is there a way to "do it myself?" Since I'm not selling it, do I even need to replace them? I'm not too concerned about driving without them personally. How much would it cost to get them replaced?

3.) The engine didn't get hit, it sounds fine when it's trying to turn over, but it will not start. I've read around and heard from a couple sources it's just the fuel pump fuse that gets burned out from an accident, is that correct? After I replace it I will check the engine to make sure it's running fine still, which I believe it will.

4.) What else should I be worrying about? What else can you tell me as advice? What would you guys do if you were in my situation?

Here's the picture, tell me what you think. The shock is fine, the wheel looks straight and in-tack. I just need advice on the topics above. If you notice anything else from what you can get out of the picture, be sure and add it in. I want everything you guys can give me.

RonJ

Banned
That's a big headache. Part it out and buy another Civic, which is relatively cheap.

Platinumcloud

was it totaled? if so your going to have a stiffer inspection to pass....and dont use a sledge....use a bottle jack and put in in between the frame rail or tbh have a professional do it so everything lines up correctly and it drive right. and with a bent frame your front end prob wont line up right. its gotta be damn perfect for your front to look right. as far as airbags look on ebay there should be a good bit on there to buy. if you even want them, i would just delete them tbh.

now im willing to bet that when your airbags deployed it triggered something to cut your fuel supply but then again i have heard storys of airbag deployment and motors still running. so i really dont know about that one. check the CEL code and go from there . check for fuel, then spark.

my bro rebuilt an eg with the complete front clip missing.... he got a front clip from a junk yard and had a guy weld it together to get everything kosher...thats my advise to you but i really cant see that well from the picture. i would first start by stripping the front end and seeing how bad it really is....the damage is ALWAYS worse on the inside compared to what you can see not to mention that inner fender is prob pretty messed up.

like i said strip it and see then go from there

good luck

Platinumcloud

That's a big headache. Part it out and buy another Civic, which is relatively cheap.
what he said too for what your going to have in it prob you can buy a cheap clean civic and swap it all over....it will save you some headache

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Part it. It isn't worth it and they are a dime a dozen.

Trekk

Registered VIP
You need to find a shop that has a frame jig or whatever they call it. It's like an alignment rack in a way, they mount sensors all over the car, then hook chains to it and bend it back into specs, or as close as they can get it. The only down side is, since the car isnt worth that much in the first place, it might just be cheaper to get another, vs the cost to repair it.

cuetip

Registered VIP
s**t the bumper and fender are really cheap you will spend a little over 100 bucks for both

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
friend just fixed his and it looked like that.

get the frame pulled professionally
get airbag trays and replce the steering wheels witha stock one cheap or a good time for after market.
replace the panels and everyting
check all the suspension components and replace any that are damaged

everymistake

friend just fixed his and it looked like that.

get the frame pulled professionally
get airbag trays and replce the steering wheels witha stock one cheap or a good time for after market.
replace the panels and everyting
check all the suspension components and replace any that are damaged
Well my buddy did the same thing to his car..him and his dad hooked it up to a chain and one of those cranks, and hooked the other end to a tree and pulled it straight.. Someone might know what I'm talking about.. I figured I'd do that and get it straight as possible.. And buy a hood, bumper and fender and put them on.. My car might be red and black for a while but his is that way and it looks decent, drives well. Is there a problem with passing inspection this way? Someone said something about that.. It only cost my friend about 500 for the new parts and it was free to bend the frame and he was driving again.

everymistake

I'm about to get around 3000$ for a pell grant, not quite enough to buy what I'd want, so I was planning on a quick fix. I don't think the damage is too bad except for the frame, but like I said it's barely bent. I'm going to see if I can replace that fuse or see if any are burnt out tomorrow, and see if I can check how the engine is doing. The engine is brand new (just got a swap) only has about 45,000 miles on it, that's why I'm trying to spare this car. Might just buy an aftermarket steering wheel and forget about the air bags, I'm not too worried about them. And do something about the passenger side.

everymistake

When I said I don't plan on selling it I really meant that I know it will still be "totaled" with the frame just manhandled.. But I won't mind that. I just want to be able to put new panels on it, get the engine running, do something about the air bags, and then get it all put back together and keep it till it dies.

everymistake

Tomorrow morning around 11a.m. I'll post a whole new set of pictures after I take all the panels off. Under the hood, close ups of underneath all the panels, and show you guys the real damage. Hopefully it isn't as bad as you think, which I don't think it is, and we can go from there.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm with the majority here.
It's worth more in parts than it is to fix.
I would part it out, and find another one, that's just me.
Also, with something like this, nothing ever fits the same again, that may or may not bother you.
These cars don't have typical body on frame construction, they're a unibody.

everymistake

I'm with the majority here.
It's worth more in parts than it is to fix.
I would part it out, and find another one, that's just me.
Also, with something like this, nothing ever fits the same again, that may or may not bother you.
These cars don't have typical body on frame construction, they're a unibody.
Well, my buddies car was like that as well, it doesn't all match up, but it still looks decent. It doesn't bother me. You really think it would cost more to buy a bumper, hood, and fender (not going to paint them) compared to buying another Civic? I just spent 1500$ getting a new engine and tranny put in.

RonJ

Banned
Don't the new engine and transmission deserve a nice shell to call home? Shouldn't cost you that much to have the full meal deal package.

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i wouldn't keep it because to me its not going to be the same car in terms of dimensions. Its never going to drive like a civic that has not been smashed.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You really think it would cost more to buy a bumper, hood, and fender (not going to paint them) compared to buying another Civic? I just spent 1500$ getting a new engine and tranny put in.
Absolutely not. Scanning the salvage yards, I could find a bumper cover, hood and fender(s) for $100 or under.
It's just a matter of how much damage it really did to it. Along with things not lining up right body panel wise, you have to take into account it could have tweeked your suspension, so it may not drive right either.

$1500 for a motor and trans swap..:shock: that's crazy, but right on par when you figure mechanics labor and parts.

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you have to cut and weld, you might never be able to hold a wheel alignment.