How to - 1990 Civic sedan, replacing Dischage line Hose Assembly

ChrisBMacon

Need advice. The 90 Civic Sedan leaks on the Discharge Line Hose. It will not cool so we’re confident it has all of the gas out of it but do not want to take a chance. First, do I need to remove the grill area, radiator to get to the bottom of the compressor and remove? How do I check if I need to take it to a shop and do a purge?

Thanks

gugiey

Registered VIP
Need advice. The 90 Civic Sedan leaks on the Discharge Line Hose. It will not cool so we’re confident it has all of the gas out of it but do not want to take a chance. First, do I need to remove the grill area, radiator to get to the bottom of the compressor and remove? How do I check if I need to take it to a shop and do a purge?

Thanks
I seems like you have little knowledge of how a a/c system works .

discharge hose ? no such thing .

when replacing any part of a a/c system you need to replace the receiver dryer.

purging the system means taking all the air/moisture out of the system/lines .
this is critical to having a a/c system work properly after repairs .

ChrisBMacon

Its the return line...sometimes described online as the discharge (miss-leading). I can replace the dryer also, but just need a few pointers on replacing the return line if one happens to know. I'll make a point to have it purged.

gugiey

Registered VIP
We have already determined from dye, it's the return line.
ok . I have never changed this line but should be fairly simple .

to check if there's no pressure on the system you can take a small flap screw driver and push down the shredder valve on either the high or low side. watch your eyes ! I'f nothing comes out then you should be alright . I'f some comes out I would maybe suggest getting a shop to make sure its all evacuated .

watch when removing the a/c lines your replacing . there still might be pressure I have seen this also after it has thought to be all removed . so always wear safety glasses !!

I believe the lines are held on the compressor by a bolt . and after removed you can pull it out .
but not positive never done it before

ChrisBMacon

Pulling it this evening. I have a contact now with guages to assist... It was also mentioned that I check a pressure switch(if present) regarding the compressor that turns on the fan. We are not sure the fan is kicking on when the a/c switch is on. It may not kick on since there is no charge in the system.