How to Act at the Pick 'N Pull Junkyard

kyle10182

NA is Best
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I have spent a couple years at these junkyards and have made a few observations. These observations may help you if you find yourself in a situation where you DONT know how to act in the junkyard. Please feel free to add , subtract , question or comment on any of these points.

1) A pick and pull junkyard is just that, pick and pull. If the name doesnt scream "BRING YOUR OWN TOOLS a*****e" , here is a friendly reminder. Please for the love of god bring at least a few handtools. A nice 4 in one screwdriver , an adjustable wrench and pliers/dikes/wirecutters MINIMUM.

2) Please don't ask to borrow my tools , especially if you dont speak english. Grunting at me in spanish and pointing at my bag of poorly orangized , over worked and under maintained tools will NOT make me consider taking each tool out until I select the one you need. If you have the testicular fortitude to disturb me while I am hard at work lining my pockets with money , please be able to form a complete sentence. "I can get a 10mm" will be answered with "and I can get an erection if I pop a blue pill and look at your mom" or If for some reason I am having an off day "yeah make a right out of the parking lot , take the first jug handle and head back towards Montclair , there is a sears hardware next to the Kaybee toys and Kings Supermarket across from the Wendy's cant miss it".

3) I , as well as everyone else in the yard, dont want to hear your girlfriend whine. If you made the mistake of allowing her OUT of the kitchen make sure she is properly dressed for junkyard duty. $50 Baby phat t-shirts and 3 day old "tims" have no place in the junkyard. Make sure she is aware that acquiring the parts you need may take some time , she better piss/s**t/eat/powder her nose /wipe her ass/retouch her make up or whatever she needs to before entering the yard. If she cant shut her mouth I have something I can stick in it to quiet her down.

4) Dont ask me for help then argue with me. There is nothing more aggravating than be disturbed by some moron asking me for help only to have this unfold :
Moron1 : y0 yo y0 son! WiLL DiS DoOr FiT oN a BuBbL3??
Me: If you are asking me if this 93 Integra coupe door will fit on a 92-95 Honda civic Hatchback , then NO it will not fit.
Moron1: y0 I un-oh NiGgA muH mAnz N dEm SAid daT diZ s**t fiTz!!
>>>>>>>>CHIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRP<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Moron1: Yo nIgGa diZ nIgGa SaId daT isH wOnT fiT yo!
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>CHIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRP<<<<<<<<<<<<< <<
Moron2: DaT nIgGa DoNT kNoE wUt hE taLkn' BoUt
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>CHIRRRRRRP<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Moron1: w3rD

Do not ask me for help , ignore my advice , and use your prepaid cell phone to walkie talkie your "mAnz N dEm" if you think you know more than me. You are clueless and on the lowest rung of the evolutionary food chain. Get a real phone. Get a few text books. Attend a few classes. Or get the f**k back to mcdonalds and make me a sandwhich.

5) At a junkyard you are typically paying 40-60% less than dealer or auto parts store prices. Many junkyards have a set price list that is plainly visible. If you are unsure of the price ask the people behind the counter before pulling a part. There is nothing quite like lugging some heavy leaking part to the tiny cramped checkout area only to wait in line because some a*****e didnt read the pricelist. Argue or try to wrangle a deal before you enter the yard. Or better yet , let paying customers ahead of you. The cashier says $5 I hand him $5 its that simple. No he wont come down on the price of the giant kmart subwoofer enclosure that you plan to stuff in the back of your 92 ford aerostar along with 57 of the 100 people living in your 3 bedroom apartment. Get out of my way.

If you follow the above examples , you can have a wonderful experience picking apart cars and enable those working around you to enjoy their visit as well.

Jbuck2KCivic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
^^That was funny, but so true..

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i only skimmed it.. but it made me lol

slowcivic E G

bla bla bla
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have something to add,
Dont walk around with a 3 foot long pole, smashing headlights/tailights. Dont throw a battery through the side window of a dodge caravan.

DirtyD

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No he wont come down on the price of the giant kmart subwoofer enclosure that you plan to stuff in the back of your 92 ford aerostar along with 57 of the 100 people living in your 3 bedroom apartment. Get out of my way.
:lol: That's great...

kyle10182

NA is Best
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
i have something to add,
Dont walk around with a 3 foot long pole, smashing headlights/tailights. Dont throw a battery through the side window of a dodge caravan.
yea....out of respect dont break anything that is not necessary in order to get to your part. i mean, sometimes, if i need a gauge cluster, i'll break the plastic around it. but i wont break the windshield, too.

kyle10182

NA is Best
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
did i offend someone? and i was quoting another person.

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well put. I am usually busy at junk yards but will gladly help someone in need and if they start questioning my knowledge, I just get my s**t and say good luck. A few weeks ago my cousin and I went to a yard just to see what they had. An elderly guy came up to me and asked if he could borrow a few wrenches ( I dont loan my tools to anyone) I said " what do you need help with? Ok to make a long boring detailed story short, I worked my ass off trying to remove a rotor off a newer camery for almost an hour. I didnt mind helping him, but if you dont speak english, dont bother me.

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Only thing i dont necessarly FULLY agree with is borrowing tools, i completely agree, if you're going to ask, dont point at me and grunt. Kuz that'll get you nowhere.

theres been a few times when i had every size but the size i needed because i simply mis-placed it, lost it, or i happen to need two of them.

s**t comes up.

But its different if you're walking around with no f**kin tools and you go to ask someone to borrow.

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wear clothing with alot of pockets because honda parts are small ;)

JiuJitsu_greg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
did i offend someone? and i was quoting another person.
No you didnt offend me I just thought the whole message was holyer then thou. I'm sure you see a large number of people in junk yards that are ignorant but I doubt the majority of them throw the n word around like that. It seemed to me like you might be stereotyping one group of people as being ignorant and poor which is just ignorance on your part. No offense.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No you didnt offend me I just thought the whole message was holyer then thou. I'm sure you see a large number of people in junk yards that are ignorant but I doubt the majority of them throw the n word around like that. It seemed to me like you might be stereotyping one group of people as being ignorant and poor which is just ignorance on your part. No offense.
i dont know man the whole chirp thing.. i deal with that at my cell phone store on a pretty regular basis very similar conversations.. for example someone will come in claiming that they know someone who paid for their "chirp minutes" at my store (which is not possible).. and then a conversation like the quoted one will follow... and its pretty f**king annoying... lol

Sundown

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I agree.. Ive only heard one person talk like that in the many, many years ive been going to junkyards..

kyle10182 said:
3) I , as well as everyone else in the yard, dont want to hear your girlfriend whine. If you made the mistake of allowing her OUT of the kitchen make sure she is properly dressed for junkyard duty.
Mine doesnt whine, she usually tries to push me out of the way to pull parts :lol:..

kyle10182

NA is Best
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I agree.. Ive only heard one person talk like that in the many, many years ive been going to junkyards..

Mine doesnt whine, she usually tries to push me out of the way to pull parts :lol:..
you probably made the first mistake....