how to charge capacitor?

denracho

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have a lightning audio cap and how to you change it? i have a charging kit on hand.. thanks

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
I always thoguht that it charged while your vehicle was on.

denracho

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
but it needs to have 12 volts before you install it.

denracho

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
but already charge it. thanks..

Spencey

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
use a resistor, if you hook it directly with the cap fully discharged it shorts your electrical system

civicracing98

im a cc whore :/
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
before this thread dies can i ask a question

some kid told me that bass caps are bad for your car. BS right?

denracho

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yup. a cap will help you to not discharge your battery while hitting loud bass notes... i would say thats bs

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
denracho said:
but it needs to have 12 volts before you install it.

I just figured I would putin my :twocents:. Im no audio wiz.

hittnbttm

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Did you get it charged? It's easy? Once it's charged you wont have to charge it again

georgelb

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Spencey said:
use a resistor, if you hook it directly with the cap fully discharged it shorts your electrical system
Yeah, all you get is a spark that will mar the caps terminal though. =)

denracho

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you charge the cap. you need to install it quickly because it discharge really fast.

J32a2OwnsU

Resident Old Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i never heard of having to charge a cap before u put it in. I have an audiobahn 3 Farad cap and it didnt need charged.

denracho

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i think it need to be charge bec it needs to have a 12 volt stored, when your bass hit a peak note, the amp borrows energy from cap.thats when you need to charge it. in your case 36 volts must be charged, 12 v per cap

Spencey

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
MySiIzFaster said:
i never heard of having to charge a cap before u put it in. I have an audiobahn 3 Farad cap and it didnt need charged.
you do realize when you don't charge them if they aren't already holding charge, power flows un-impeded through the cap creating a short? Charging a cap up to a certain voltage isn't going to insure it stays at that voltage, its always going to be at the voltage of your battery, it just works to oppose a change in voltage between the two devices.

denracho

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
we need to charge our cap before using it. i will short...

J32a2OwnsU

Resident Old Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Spencey said:
you do realize when you don't charge them if they aren't already holding charge, power flows un-impeded through the cap creating a short? Charging a cap up to a certain voltage isn't going to insure it stays at that voltage, its always going to be at the voltage of your battery, it just works to oppose a change in voltage between the two devices.
Well, Im not sure what to say. I didnt charge mine, and it keeps the voltage a lot more stable than it did....maybe I lucked out.