how to get a nail out of the tires? is there a diy?

desimunda

5+ Year Member
i've a 99 civic lx 4dr
i noticed a nail stuck in my right rear tire today. can anyone guide me how to get it out of the tire. i'm supposing that if it stays it might damage my tires further. i don't wanna take it to any repair shop, i don't trust those guys with my car. any help is appreciated.
i did a search for this and didn't find much.

aaren99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well if you take it out theres a good chance your tire will go flat if its gone all the way through. If you're sure it hasn't gone through you could always try a screwdriver and a hammer or some needlenose pliers.

IMO you should just take it to a good shop that fixes flats for free and if theres a problem then can patch it up for you.

schutzracing

#1 ricer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well if you take it out theres a good chance your tire will go flat if its gone all the way through. If you're sure it hasn't gone through you could always try a screwdriver and a hammer or some needlenose pliers.

IMO you should just take it to a good shop that fixes flats for free and if theres a problem then can patch it up for you.

wow what shop would fix anything for free??? do u have to tip them 100$$ after they fix it? I would go get a big thing of fix a flat and pull the mail out and drive it around for a little so the fix a flat does its job.. worked out good for my quads and such..

Ls-HatchBoy

Honda Whore
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i would throw a spare on it, let the air out then pull the nail out and get a patch kit then air it back up. i just say let air out first so it dont come flyin out and hit you or anything, but then again im used to being around f18 tires that are from 150 psi to 250 psi. anyhow good luck bro.

mailboy

Got Boom?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
honestly.. Go get a plug a kit..

No need to patch if its just a nail..

Pull nail out with hammer or pliers..
You have to have air in tires to put the plug in,..

Install plug.. its simple man

aaren99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wow what shop would fix anything for free??? do u have to tip them 100$$ after they fix it? I would go get a big thing of fix a flat and pull the mail out and drive it around for a little so the fix a flat does its job.. worked out good for my quads and such..
Tire shops like discount fix flats for free even if you didnt buy the tire there...at least here they do.

caddy

I found Waldo
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You can spend 30 bucks doing it yourself and chance messing up the tire, or you can pay a shop 30 bucks to do it properly.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
worst comes to worst...just get a new tire.

Coutts

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
look around, theres gotta be a shop that does it for free. i took my car to a tire shop in town around here, told them the tire was leaking. they check it out and plugged like 3 holes for me. no more leak =)

wtfh4xx

1337 Gold Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Are you f**kin serious?

Just leave it in there... or yank it out and use some of that green slime stuff. If you ever get a hole it self seals.

desimunda

5+ Year Member
thanx folks, i'll be shopping arnd for that plug kit, if its like 20 bux, then i might as well take it to the local pepboys n get it done for like $15/- neways, thanks for the input

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Wal Mart does flat repairs for like $10-15, i cant remember the exact price, that would include plug and patch.