How to get more power from your engine?

Fc3857

Future Civic Owner
Hey, I wanted to know how to get more power out of a stock D16Y7 engine on an 2000 civic hatchback. What can I replace? Headers, intercoolers, intakes? What are your ideas for getting more power out of it? And what mods have you done to your car? Thanks.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
All sorts of fail here.....:smackself

Whatever can be done, has been done to it, especially for a car that is over 10yrs old.
The info is out there, search around, read up and start saving $. Your budget is the ultimate factor for what you can do.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Lambo doors add 50hp
This^

You could replace.... the motor. With an ls1, and you'll gain LOADS of horsepower.
If you don't want to swap, and you're not looking to make a ton of power, then your average bolt ons, like an intake, header, exhaust, etc. It will give you a little extra get up (not a whole lot) and give it a good sound as well. A common thing that many people ignore is how well your car runs as well. Do a complete tune-up, replace your fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and troubleshoot any current issues you have.

Other than that if you want to make some serious numbers you could always boost it. But there's a lot to learn before going that route.

and there's plenty of swaps available too.

emerican

Registered VIP
alright guys thats enough.
Op basically your going to have to figure out your budget,hp goal, mechanical knowledge and get back to us.
But like nick said you need to make ssure the car is mechnically sound has a fresh tune up no problems etc before you eve start thinking of modding things.

Fc3857

Future Civic Owner
alright guys thats enough.
Op basically your going to have to figure out your budget,hp goal, mechanical knowledge and get back to us.
But like nick said you need to make ssure the car is mechnically sound has a fresh tune up no problems etc before you eve start thinking of modding things.
I plan to have a budget of 20,000$ on this car, my hp goal is around 600, and I have a bit of mechanical knowledge.

cuetip

Registered VIP
then u have tons of room, swap it with an engine of your choice, then add the basic bolt ons for that engine

Jose1027

Registered VIP
My friend did a harley swap on his civic now it goes super fast wen it hits vtec:thumbup:

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

RonJ

Banned
If you wish to stick with the D16Y7 platform, then first do a lot of research and then become an expert in the forced induction field. It's as simple as that.