How to improve my stock EK3 performace without spending too much money

Manuel EK3

Hello guys. I`m just a new owner of an Civic ek3.
Here is my engine spec:
D15Z6
SOHC VTEC-E
Found in:
1995–2000 Honda Civic 1.5i LS (European Market)
Displacement : 1,493 cc (91.1 cu in)
Bore and Stroke : 75 mm × 84.5 mm (3.0 in × 3.33 in)
Rod Length : 137 mm
Compression : 9.6:1
114 PS (84 kW) at 6,500 rpm
Torque : 99 lb·ft (134 Nm) at 5,400 rpm
VTEC Switchover : depending on load, max ~3,500 rpm in 5th gear
Valvetrain : SOHC VTEC (3-4 valves per cylinder, depending on engine speed)
Fuel Control : OBD-2a PGM-FI MPFI
Ecu Code : P2Y
Head Code : P2J
Redline : 6,800 rpm
Fuel cutout : 7,200 rpm

So my first qestion is.Can i modify my stock ecu using a chiptuning software?
I read in some places if i replace my air intake with a sport one i can rais up to 5hp is that true ?
Did the 1990 Honda Crx seats fit in my car ?

Thats it for beginig.

Thanks

CO671

Registered VIP
It could be quite a large amount of work to get power from that economical engine, hell any D-series for that matter but you're going to take a few more steps. I'm not sure how the electronics are set up in that motor, and if it's anything like the USDM D16Y5 VTEC-E found in Civic HX coupes then you're gonna go through quite a bit more.

I'd recommend considering either a mini-me headswap
(you'll need the ECU to accommodate the head, but then is a good time to chip/tune/OBD1)
or... go forced induction with a turbocharger, but even at that you'll still need to do lots of work and spend almost the same amount of money as the car is worth.

If the D15z6 has a wideband o2 like the D16Y5, idk how that might work but it's something to consider when doing wiring.

Other than that, a full motor swap.

Also, you didn't mention if your vehicles automatic or 5spd manual.

ECU options would be cheaper to have a chip/tune and OBD1 conversion rather than a piggyback.

CRX Seats do not bolt in, they must be modified, here's a list of bolt in seats:
96-00 CIVIC:
-Front-
•92-95 Civic w/EK rails
•94-01 Integra w/EK rails
•97-01 CR-V w/EK rails
•92-97 Del Sol w/EK rails
•97-01 Prelude w/EK rails
•97-02 Accord Coupe w/EK rails
•01-03 CL w/EK rails*Requires 12v for heat feature
-Rear-(Hatch)
•92-95 Civic *Hatchback only
•94-01 Integra *Hatchback only
•02-06 RSX
-Rear-(Coupe)
•01-05 Civic Si*EP3 only
-Rear-(Sedan)
•92-95 Civic Sedan
•94-01 Integra Sedan

I actually would recommend you find an easier canvas to start on. The Civic you have SHOULD make great mileage, and adding a few horsepower would constrain you wallet because of all the conversions needing to be done and possibly lessen your gas mileage. If you can consider it, get another project.

Manuel EK3

Thanks evrything was so usefull(and it has a manual transmision)... but you know i`m not thinking that far... i know i have a VTEC-E and it also has 200.000 km`s i just wanna know if its possible to go up to 130-140 hp without drastic modificasions like engine swap or a turbo kit... i want a simple sucker engine...

Thanks again and i`m waiting your answers within these circumstances.

CO671

Registered VIP
You'll still be begging for more power once you get around 140hp :P

I got these from this thread:
http://www.d-series.org/forums/naturally-aspirated/59672-one-more-time-d15z6.html?highlight=d15z6

Hello, I have 97 EK3 d15z6

Mods 4-2-1 Manifold
Cold air intake.

Now 126hp 146nm torque

Waiting to put d16z6 intake manifold this weekend.

New updates to my civic.

D16z6 cams + hondata gasket + tune.

135hp 144NM:bong:
You don't need a head swap!!!
The d15z6 is a nice motor, with a few OEM parts, you can get really nice numbers:

This is d15z6 from Holland. It's got 150,5hp @ 7100rpm and 167 Nm @ 4300rpm.

Specs:

D16y8 IM
D16y8 cam
D16y8 "bridge"
B16a2 TB
OBD2 240cc injectors
CAI
Supersprint catback
Supersprint decat
Supersprint header 4-2-1
camgear
TCC flywheel
D16z6 clutch
Password:JDM heatshield
Zeitronix wbO2
S8G gearbox
P28 ecu, Cromed on the dyno.

Manuel EK3

Thanks these are so usefull i may use some things from there......

But also i`m still oppened for any new ideeas

stcopley

Trollin in the Deep
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thanks evrything was so usefull(and it has a manual transmision)... but you know i`m not thinking that far... i know i have a VTEC-E and it also has 200.000 km`s i just wanna know if its possible to go up to 130-140 hp without drastic modificasions like engine swap or a turbo kit... i want a simple sucker engine...

Thanks again and i`m waiting your answers within these circumstances.
Not possible without a lot of money for that engine. Simplest would be just a cheap b18a or b18b swap from an ls integra. Otherwise you can go forced induction and get around 200hp but that'll cost more than the b18 swap. Those options from the quote above are numbers from what must've been an incredible engine, and cost more for all those upgrades than a cheap b18 swap. But if you are not mechanically inclined. A lot of those options are much easier to do. The question comes to, do you want to swap to a b series engine, or keep with the d15. It comes to personal preference at that point.

Personally I would keep yours how it is. And just maybe switch the seats and other stuff to make it the best and most comfortable daily driver ever for its mpg. But that's just how I would do it.

Manuel EK3

I think i will keep the d15 engine and i will do just minimaly modifications like a cold air intake and a cat back exhaust, also changing the seets and installing a new adjustable suspension will be ok for the start. However the car was just 120euros with some ice rain damage on the roof and on the hood also new brake disks in the front and a complete new exhaust and 12 stock wheels. I think was a good deal.

Anyway thanks for sharing your point.

CO671

Registered VIP
You're gonna end up spending lots of money, so be sure you want to do it to this car.

Manuel EK3

You're gonna end up spending lots of money, so be sure you want to do it to this car.
Till today i spend on it: 80eur for 16"Dotz Brands wheels, 20eur for clear glass rear lights, 150eur for H&R adjustable sport suspensions, the complete bodywork was 400eur. And more coming the seats,air intake and the exhaust. My limit for this car is 1500eur and i`m just at 770 yet...

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Do you still own the car, and what have you done to it? :D
If you click on the member name you can see the last time they were signed in, which was in 2014. Its unlikely they'll reply.

PaciDrifter

Respected
If you click on the member name you can see the last time they were signed in, which was in 2014. Its unlikely they'll reply.
Oh okay, yea I see.
Thanks =) I'm new here so kinda explains itself [emoji14]

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk