how to lowwer my ej1 more?

ike1254

5+ Year Member
i have adjustables on my civic and i lost the tool and i cant loosen the ring. what can i do?

1993DX

Coil overs I'm assuming?? If so, what kind?

If you have two jam nuts that you would use two spanner wrenches on, you can place a brass punch on one of the teeth of the lower nut and tap it with a hammer (counter clockwise of course) to break it free. If they've been on a while lubing with WD40 first would help so you could then spin it by hand. A screw driver would work in a pinch but be careful not to blow off one of the teeth.

If you have one jam nut that has a set screw it may be a little more difficult, as some of them don't have teeth, and they are more inclined to bend / distort since they aren't a sold ring all the way around.

Either way, more info on the brand you have would help.

A big effin pair of channel lock pliers might give you some grip on it lol.

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Cover them in PB blaster for about 30 mins.
Then hit em with a flat head and a hammer.

tonyM

caca poopoo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you can order extras spanner wrenches on-line or at most part stores.

ike1254

5+ Year Member
i think my adjustables have one set screw that fits an alen key wrench to loosen the ring but i stripped it i think so now what? big effin chanel locks or vise grips?

1993DX

Oh..... Well, you could try to back it out with an extractor then get a new screw from a hardware store.

Or get a new set of coil overs...

Is the set screw recessed in the ring or is the head exposed? If it's exposed use a penetrating oil and vice grips, then replace the set screw.

1993DX

Then you may need to try an extractor if it's rounded out.

You could try drilling it out and replacing it with a through bolt/nut. But I know they don't really have a lot of material to work with so you may be testing it's rigidity and safety.

Or get a new kit....

Unless anyone else has any ideas??