How To: OEM Honda S2000 AP2 (04-05) Steering Wheel on Your EK

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hi guys. Here's a very basic install of the OEM Honda S2000 AP2 Steering Wheel on the EK (1996-2000) Honda Civic. I know the rumor is that the AP2 wheels don't work because the airbag is dual-stage, however the early AP2 (2004-2005) is still SINGLE stage, yet has the AP2 steering wheel. The only difference between AP2 (2004-2005) and AP2(2006+) is the emblem on the airbag, otherwise it's the SAME part # for the actual wheel portion. I personally like the emblem of the early version anyhow.

Furthermore, why AP2? Well, it looks alot better then the AP1 wheel in my opinion and in my findings is 0.5" smaller in diameter than the AP1 wheel.

Stock Civic Si: 15.1" diameter
AP1 S2000: 14.6" diameter
AP2 S2000: 14.1" diameter

That makes the AP2 steering wheel a whole 1" smaller in diameter than factory civic si. It could perhaps be the smaller OEM steering wheel WITH airbag.

Anyhow, everything bolts up and plugs in - all you have to change is the crusie control harness. You'll notice on the back of the early AP2 airbag that there are only two wires on the plug verifying that it's single stage as opposed to the four wire dual stage airbags.

On to the pictures:

The Wheel (I picked it up for $300 shipped):

The factory harness (you can see where I've had to cut and splice before):

The S2000 (AP2) Cruise Control Harness - yes there is a separate "sub-harness" under the steering wheel which makes wiring easier:

My elite wiring diagram matching up which wires to what:

Soldering them together:

All taped up:

Installed:

A quick interior shot, don't mind the mess:

Everything works, the cruise control / the horns / the SRS light shuts off. No problems. :thumbup:

Sammo115

It be me, Sammo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What a d**k...your such a teaser.

radracer

5+ Year Member
would you have to modify any wires if your putting this wheel on and you dont have cruise ?

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Same question as up top, I have a DX!

Car is looking great brosef. I thought you were selling it for an S2000?

AllStockHatch

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Looking good and great write up. Thanks for the good to know info.

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
would you have to modify any wires if your putting this wheel on and you dont have cruise ?
Same question as up top, I have a DX!

Car is looking great brosef. I thought you were selling it for an S2000?
If you don't have cruise then there is NO wire modification needed. You'd simply hook up the airbag / horn (plug in the connectors) and have a cruise control switch for looks :thumbup:

I'm actually after a TSX to be honest, but it'll be a little while before that happens so I figure I'll keep this car nice for the time being.

Looking good and great write up. Thanks for the good to know info.
No problem! :thumbup:

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
s2 cluster? s2 wheel? just get an s2 man....i love my ap2 <3

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
s2 cluster? s2 wheel? just get an s2 man....i love my ap2 <3
Our family has one, I like it but only a couple of things about it - which i'm adding to my car ;)

thanks evan , now i just have to source an AP2 wheel
You're welcome. I found mine on eBay through an auto dismantler type of place. The only tough part about this mod is that it's limited to 04-05.

gabo

5+ Year Member
Do you have a write up about putting that S2K cluster on a 6th gen? Really interested!

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I do not. I could, however that's something that I hope to keep somewhat unique.

I could care less if everyone has s2000 steering wheels hahah

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thanks fellas :thumbup: :thumbup:

Glad I could shead some light.

wazup_74

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
wow, it looks good. I personally like the look of the ap1 better in the sense that it has that perforated look on the wheel. The center badge looks good on both the ap1 and ap2. But .5" smaller than ap1 might be worth it. I really like the ap1 wheel i have in my car right now, it totally changes the look of the interior but this ap2 might be worth looking into.