How to remove pin stripe?

jvictim

I'm looking to remove the pin stripe on the sides of my car but I don't want to damage the paint. I've heard it just peels off but when I've tried picking it, it doesn't seem it'll work well.
Does anybody know a good way to do this without damaging paint?

stuco

5+ Year Member
If it's new or not dried out at all it may be pealable but chances are it's not. The easiest way would be to get a 3m eraser wheel made specifically for this job. It is a drill attachment. You could also spend a couple hours with goo gone, adhesive remover, a hair dryer and a razor blade.

jvictim

It's a 97 and the original paint so it's definitely dried out. So might be a lost cause you're saying, without investing some time?

SuperDanny

if the stripe its self is all dried and hard like paint you could always wet sand it down and do a 3 stage polish on it, might as well do the rest of the car... just be careful not to burn the paint when your buffing it

OblivionEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Mine came off no problem, I did it last year too. I lifted one end up with my fingernail and pulled at about a 30-35 degree angle (so it would stop breaking) towards the car. No paint lifted, but the stripe broke occasionally.

Modest Throttle

Registered VIP
I did this last summer, and I s**t you not, it took me about an hour and a half per side. I did the left side and was so pissed that it took so long that I waited like 2 weeks to do the right side haha. It really just depends on the condition of the stripe. The method I used was: peel/pull/scrape the stripe off and then hit it with goo gone to get the glue residue off.

jvictim

Guess I might just try it for the hell of it. If it starts giving issues I might stop before I get too far and get too pissed to keep going and drive around for a while with only half of the pin stripe on one of the sides hah

USdmEG

you use a heat gun and a razor blade and it comes right off with out force just like how u take off window tint

yamaharider324

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I did mine a few months ago and just used a hair dryer and a finger nail. It was very time consuming at first as it kept tearing but eventually I got a pretty good system down and did a whole side in 30 mins. give it a try and you'll find out what works best.

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
get a $10 dollar heat gun from harbor freight and a plastic razor blade and go to town.