How to replace timing belt on '92 LX

TurboDriver369

5+ Year Member
So, I have a 1992 Honda Civic LX with almost 340,000 miles on it. Since I don't want to put any big money into it, I'm doing any maintenance that needs to be done at home. I've already changed the oil and oil filter no problem, and now I'm looking into replacing the timing belt. I didn't realize how big of a project this is, but I'm still fired up about not taking it into a shop.

Has anyone done this before and could give me some instructions? Or is anyone aware of a website or store that I can go to to find out how to get this done?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Contact me VIA PM and Ill give you a link to a factory honda PDF manual that you can download and use.

Ps91

5+ Year Member
I've done this twice on a 4dr and a 2dr and the hardest part is removing the Crankshaft pulley bolt. Impact wrench would be best. After that it's not that complicated. You just have to make sure that everything lines up with the belt teeth. Follow the manual, Chilton's or Helm on aligning and you'd be fine. You might want to replace the water pump while you are at it but given that you don't want to spend any more $ then that's up to you. Good luck! You can hit me up if you have any more ?'s.

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
PM replied.

I strongly suggest you replace the water pump while youre in there. You can get one from an auto parts store for like 40 bucks. Youll have less than 100 bucks in materials for the job.

Dakota

Canuck Civic driver
5+ Year Member
When I bought my 92 , it had 280000Km on it , and I replaced my belt as soon as I could , as the girl I got it from said she had never done it in over 2 years . I found it very easy , but the difference between me doing it and you doing it is that I am a professional mechanic , and did it all at my shop with the power tools and all . Still , its fairly straight forward , as long as you a) follow the instruction manual PRECISLY , and b) don't rush the job . Good luck!!!