how to reset ECU???

rolakers

Milkman Insane
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
There used to be a thread on here about how to reset the ECU but I can't find it anymore. Could someone help me out??

The reason I wanna do it is because I'm having a header put on and I heard that ECU should be reset. Thanks guyz.

EM1FORLIFE.

5+ Year Member
take off +/- lines from battery, leave it out for a few mintues and your done.

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
EM1FORLIFE. said:
take off +/- lines from battery, leave it out for a few mintues and your done.
That works, or you could try to start your car with the ecu fuse pulled, if you don't feel like reseting your radio.

Notice I said try, cause nothing will happen, it'll give power all around, which will clear the system of excess power, while no power is going to the ecu, therefore reseting it.

slowhatch

torque?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Partizan said:
how does that radio thing work then?
because when you disconnect the pos. and neg. cables there isnt a constant source of power for your stereo to remember your settings.

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
slowhatch said:
because when you disconnect the pos. and neg. cables there isnt a constant source of power for your stereo to remember your settings.

Right, and if you start your car, after removing the battery cables, and your radio didn't reset. Chances are neither did your ecu. THis is the excess power I was speaking of.

Partizan

im gay n proud luv my car
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Oh ok, but what about the radio code? I dont know my radio code...

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Partizan said:
Oh ok, but what about the radio code? I dont know my radio code...
if you're worried about this, follow my method of reseting the ecu.

one6

Shorts and Sandals FTW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Park your car at night, unplug/uninstall your ECU. Then the next morning when you need to go to work/school/wherever, reinstall it.

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
one6 said:
Park your car at night, unplug/uninstall your ECU. Then the next morning when you need to go to work/school/wherever, reinstall it.
That would in theory work... I guess. But its a lot more work then pulling one damn fuse. I mean come on man. This thread shouldn't even still be going on.