how to speed up my civic???

cjaramillo

Hey so i just got a '95 Honda civic coupe with a v- tec engine and it runs good but im
a lil dissapointed with the way it takes off when i slam on the pedal it takes a while for it to
get speed doesnt even burn out (so sad when i try to race) just wondering what i can do
to make it have a better take off speed????

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
What you're looking for is a light weight flywheel and a better clutch. That'll give you grab n' go! Won't make you faster, but it'll make you quicker off the line for sure. Less rotating mass to deal with. Another cheaper option would be to remove the power steering and Air conditioner if you have one. You can just remove the belts so your motor isn't working as hard to turn more accessories if you don't want to remove everything for good. That's all I can really think about right now for just quickness with out a spending a fortune. Though if you take a clutch job to a shop instead of doing it yourself you're looking at several hundred minimum. Of course change your fluids, plugs, filters, and get the basics out of the way as well :thumbs up

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
A light weight flywheel actually has the opposite effect. They hold less inertia because they have less mass. That means less energy going to your wheels when you close the clutch at a given RPM. However, it does mean your motor does less work to rev up the flywheel, making it more responsive.

So your motor revs quicker, but you have less power hitting your wheels at takeoff

+1 for a good clutch. I can agree with that definitely

Last edited:

mylovehx

Hatches rock
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST it. garunteed to be quicker

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
A light weight flywheel actually has the opposite effect. They hold less inertia because they have less mass. That means less energy going to your wheels when you close the clutch at a given RPM. However, it does mean your motor does less work to rev up the flywheel, making it more responsive.

So your motor revs quicker, but you have less power hitting your wheels at takeoff

+1 for a good clutch. I can agree with that definitely
Looks like I have some homework for today. Thank you for pointing that out to me... So what you're saying is less take off power but faster to redline??

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That stuff^ or Lightweight wheels and strip ur interior to nothing. Either that or engine swap/turbo, only thing thatll actually make u faster.

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
^^ He's asking about take off/launch speed though. Boost won't kick in until XXX RPM's so this would not solve his off the line trouble's UNLESS he's doing like a 2 step launch control similar to that of EVO's and such where from a stop, you can build boost at 5k RPM and just dump the clutch and let her rip out the gate... Probably not where the OP is going though.

Just sayn'..

mylovehx

Hatches rock
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm just going to suggest boost to anyone that asks about there engine lol

Them - Should i change my sparks plugs?
Me - Yes.. also boost it
XD

Also if you can't burn it out maybe you should learn how to drive better. Even a civic can burn out.. not talking trash or anything!

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
I'm just going to suggest boost to anyone that asks about there engine lol

Them - Should i change my sparks plugs?
Me - Yes.. also boost it
XD

Also if you can't burn it out maybe you should learn how to drive better. Even a civic can burn out.. not talking trash or anything!
I seriously LOL'd at that. We should start a new "boost it" crew.

What's that you say? Tire pressure's low? A new turbo should fix that right up :lol:

203CT

Slow But Not Low
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Cheapest way to gain speed is to have the head resurfaced. The Lil bump in compression does make a difference. I know someone with a stock y8 with a full tune up(t-belt,water pump,springs,valves,retainers all from Honda) resurfaced head and he keeps up with stock B16's. I even seen him beat a GS-R swapped 6th gen. Coupe but the driver couldn't drive.

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well first off..... it is a Honda. You're not going to have some gnar-bar torque without some SERIOUS work.

x2 on clutch. And you guys saying boost... I believe he's asking about launching. You're going to have better launching with an all motor or even a supercharged car. You're just going to spin tire with launching a boosted car until you're really good at it.

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^^ He's asking about take off/launch speed though. Boost won't kick in until XXX RPM's so this would not solve his off the line trouble's UNLESS he's doing like a 2 step launch control similar to that of EVO's and such where from a stop, you can build boost at 5k RPM and just dump the clutch and let her rip out the gate... Probably not where the OP is going though.

Just sayn'..
nobody said turbo.... an S/C would be in at the jump...

When it comes to launching, it all comes down to torque and rotational mass.

The lighter the wheel/tire and the more engine inertia harnessed, the faster the jump. So if you get the right balance, the next fight is with traction... which comes down to suspension and compound of the tire.

But the best bang for your buck launching is a new/ higher stage clutch and pressure plate and a nice set of quality light wheels/ good compound tires.

mylovehx

Hatches rock
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
nobody said turbo.... an S/C would be in at the jump...

When it comes to launching, it all comes down to torque and rotational mass.

The lighter the wheel/tire and the more engine inertia harnessed, the faster the jump. So if you get the right balance, the next fight is with traction... which comes down to suspension and compound of the tire.

But the best bang for your buck launching is a new/ higher stage clutch and pressure plate and a nice set of quality light wheels/ good compound tires.
WRONG! I said turbo :cool:

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
buy a v8 car, it will make you moist in your nether region