Hub centric rings on tenzo wheels

demoniclizard

5+ Year Member
I've read a lot of mixed feedback on this question: Are hub centric rings unneccesary for civics when mounting aftermarket wheels?

Some have said you can destroy your cars alignment if you do not use them, some say its just a safety net for mounting your wheels, some say they arent needed at all.

So can anyone give a confident response on wether or not I should look into buying these? I am about to buy a set of tenzo mean 6 wheels and don't want to screw anything up ($1000 is a lot of money to me)

Also the wheels didn't come with lugs, so will these work? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/16-TUNER-LUG-NUTS-4-LOCKS-12MM-1-5-GORILLA-SPLINE-WHEEL_W0QQitemZ7994523176QQcategoryZ33749QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
They are a set of 16 gorilla "tuner" lugnuts with 4 locks.

ex96vtec

AWD Build In Progess
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
demoniclizard said:
I've read a lot of mixed feedback on this question: Are hub centric rings unneccesary for civics when mounting aftermarket wheels?
When I got my wheels for my civic they came with the wheels so I used them. The question is would they send them If you didn't need them? I decided hey they came with them, I dont want to screw anything up. I'll use them.

demoniclizard said:
Also the wheels didn't come with lugs, so will these work? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/16-TUNER-LUG-NUTS-4-LOCKS-12MM-1-5-GORILLA-SPLINE-WHEEL_W0QQitemZ7994523176QQcategoryZ33749QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
They are a set of 16 gorilla "tuner" lugnuts with 4 locks.
I have the same lugnuts except I got mine at belle tire becasue the lugs that came with the wheels in the package wouldnt fit the wheels. They should work looking at what it says in the auction. hope it helps

96greencivic

#1 in the Atlantic!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've got those lugs on my 16's. No problems yet.

Silver-Shooter

silveRShooter
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i'e gone through 2 sets of wheels and i have yet to need hub centric rings

demoniclizard

5+ Year Member
Ok I just got my new wheels. I didn't have the tools to put the wheels on myself so I had some guy at midas put them on for me. So far they seem "ok" but I am not really sure what to look for as in how the car rides to see if there are any problems. The ride is of course rougher which I was expecting going from 14s to 17s and theres more road noise than before. Does anyone know what exactly to look for to make sure theres no problems and if the hub rings are needed or what not. Everything feels a little different I just don't know "how" different it should feel before theres something wrong...

96greencivic

#1 in the Atlantic!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
As long as you are riding straight and no vibration in the steering wheel, you should be fine. I believe they recommend that you re torque the lugs after so many miles, but I haven't done that either. I'm not running any rings on my car.

itsmycookie

#1 a*****e
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you know i;ve posted this about a billion times..... but here it is again...

Hub rings serve no purpose after installation, their entire job is to hold your wheel perfectly centered while the lug nuts are being installed.

The hub rings sole responsibility is to take up the space between the center bore of the wheel and the hub of the car. For example: the center bore of all 4x100mm and 5x100mm wheels is 64mm. However, the hub diameter of the Honda is 56.1mm. Therefore to take up the space between 64mm and 56.1mm a hub ring is used.

All wheels are classified as being either "Hub Centric", or "Lug Centric." The term Centric refers to the way a wheel is centered. In other words a hub centric wheel centers on the hub of the car, if you put the wheel on the car without lug nuts the wheel would be perfectly centered. On a lug centric wheel, the wheels are centered by the lugs as they are tightened down. Manufacturers build wheels lug centric to allow the wheel to fit a wider selection of vehicles.

I cannot stress enough how essential it is for you to be certain that the installer of your wheel has used the correct hubring. Statistics show that the most common cause of a car vibration is a wheel that is off center slightly. For example, with lug centric wheels vibrations commonly occur when an installer tightens the lug nuts incorrectly, such as when they tighten one side before the other the wheel can be "pulled" to one side. This common problem could be prevented if the correct hubring was used during installation

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Mercedes Benz, some Mazdas and a few Subarus are the only hub-centric cars I have ever worked with.

Every factory Honda wheel I have ever mounted has centered by the lugs.

demoniclizard

5+ Year Member
So in other words I just shouldn't worry about it then? The problem I am having is theres so many people who say you don't need em and so many saying you do need em. And doesn't seem I can get a straight answer on wether or not I should waste my money going out and buying them and installing them, all I am getting are explanations on what they are for, which I already know...