HX Manifold Question

D16RedCoupe

Ive been doing a lot of searching and reading about turboing my HX but I have one question that I cannot seem to find an answer for... I know the HX manifold has the egr stuff on it but if I swap it with a Y8 manifold and plug the egr ports will that work? I'll be doing the obd1 swap with Hondata s300 so can't I disable the cel for the egr system??? I would think it wouldn't be an issue but this is my first Honda I'll be building so I don't have the hands on experience with it. Any information would be appreciated!

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I believe you just need to block the EGR port since you're also swapping ECUs. I can't say for sure since that's not my realm of experience but I think I've read that elsewhere.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Don't bother swapping the intakes, as far as I know they are exactly the same minus the egr stuff. I boosted my 96 hx and left the stock manifold on just fine, you just end up with a non functioning egr and I believe you won't have a cel because the obd1 ecu doesn't look for an egr valve.

D16RedCoupe

Awesome! Thanks for the quick replies. That was one of my main issues I was having while trying to research turboing an HX. I feel pretty confident with everything else except the tuning. I have 0 experience in that department so that'll just be more hours of research online lol

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
my recommendation is take it to someone who knows hondas well and ask them what they tune with, buy that software and let them tune it. unless you want to be on a laptop just about every day working out kinks in the tune and trying to learn, i have spent countless hours trying to fix my last tune from a shitty tuner but the tune i got for my hx when i boosted it i never had a problem in 2 years (no cold/hot starting issues, made decent power 166hp 149tq)

D16RedCoupe

Yea, that's my plan. Just take it to someone who knows what they're doing. Only problem is I don't know any shops here that deal with Hondas so I might have to take it to Dallas or Atlanta or something.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I drove my turbo hx for a week on a basemap then drove 5 hours to the nearest dyno I could find, I knew it was the right place when they had the shop integra race car sitting outside and a 450+ whp b18 turbo eg hatch on the dyno.

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Correct me if I'm wrong but if you go with an S300 or something with the same amount of options, can't you just turn the EGR functions off or manipulate the outputs read since he's thinking of boost anyway?

I agree with the reputable tuner and the software/ecu they prefer.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you possibly know more about it than i do but the only obd1 civic with an egr that i know of is the d15z6 or what ever it was that came in a 92-95 civic vx, if the ecu is not from a car that has egr then it wont look for it so no code whether its still hooked up to the manifold or not. there probably is a way to make it function like stock but why bother since your going for more power and not fuel economy.