I bought a high speed buffer yesterday - new pics of my 2000 SI

Dale_K

I just bought a 2000 SI last week and I posted a few pics in another thread. While the car is in basically great shape (owned by a retired doctor since new), the paint had been neglected. At first I tried to bring back the shine using my old random orbital polisher but it didn't work very well. All the detailing advice on the web said you need a high speed buffer to attack neglected paint so I stopped by a Sherwin Williams store that sells automotive finishing products to body shops and they had a Makita buffer on sale. This is the buffer I bought, a model 9227C. It came with the storage bag and 2 pads. I bought a third 3M pad for swirl removal.

So all day yesterday I buffed the car with Meguiars Ulitimate Compound to get the dead layer out of the clear coat. It worked perfectly for that task and helped quite a bit with some scratches, although it didn't take out all of them. After the compound I used a glaze I had laying around that I bought a long time ago at the Harley dealer. Eventually I ran out of the glaze and switched to Meguiars SwirlX. Here are a few pictures of the car. I think it turned out pretty good. Technically speaking I didn't need to take a picture in the garage but otherwise I couldn't have included my Corvette.

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
its reflecting good! its like a mirror, great job.

1997EK

1997 Civic DX (EJ6)
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Looks great! I've gotta do this to my car. The clear coat is definitely starting to show its age. Nice Vette too!

lotz6996

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
nice. i just got a cheapo polisher to do my fiance's crv this week. hope it comes out as well as yours.

cheeseneck

Already RHD
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
lol it looks like that the garage light dropped n dented your front hood at a glance.
looking good...:thumbs up:

JGvtec

The names Jordan
One thing that Ive always like to do. Detail my car. Its always a great feeling seeing that thing shine like first day it was made =)

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it looks good but you need to track down an OEM front lip for it.

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Those tires are thick. Nice Vette though.

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Great job!!! Try to get better pics though so we can get a better look at your work.

Dale_K

it looks good but you need to track down an OEM front lip for it.
That's definitely on the to-do list. I've found new OEM lips online at about $225, plus I need the mounting hardware.

I'll try some more pics if I can get the right lighting. It's hard to capture the paint quality. You don't see anything if it's cloudy but the bright glare of the sun kind of overwhelms the picture if you take it at mid-day. Maybe early morning or sunset would be better for taking pictures. Here's one I took on the same day but in the shadow on my driveway. There is a dent in the front fender on the passenger side. I might be able to push it out if I remove the inner fender liner. I got a quote of $370 from the local body shop that the Hot Springs Honda dealer uses.

RedArmy72

nothin prettier than a polished black car =) i think i just got a chubby haha nice ride man def get a lip tho and some clean rims =)