I Broke My Shifter!!!

andrew256

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I snapped ny short-shifter today while I was driving to work. How do I go about replacing it once I get a new one???

DOHCCivic

White EJ1
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
u gota take out the center consol between the two seats the shifter has a boot around it move that up as far as posible then u should see 3 bolts unscrew them. thats the part were the ball in the shifter sits.
now under the car u will see right above the exhaust the shifter u gota get the shift linkage out thats only one bolt and the shifter should just drop out and re-assembly is the opposite (thats how i had to do mine some cars the 3 bolts are welded on top so they cant be removed so u would have to do it all from the underside and u shouldnt have to remove any consols if its like that.
but its not hard and good luck

andrew256

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What application do I need a shifter for? I have a 93 but a b16 swap.

DOHCCivic

White EJ1
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the car not the motor the connection is all the same

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I didnt know this was possible lol. How hard were you shifting?
Ive installed a shift boot before and it took about an hour. Just undo the bolts to the linkage and the bolts up top. It should slide out. Make sure you play with the shifter BEFORE you lower the car to make sure its done right.

My brothers EF came with a saw off OEM shifter. Im getting it re threaded so I can have an OEM short shifter! haha.

andrew256

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm thinking about just threading where it broke and have a super-short-shifter.

EG Hatch

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You were shifting way too hard and probably have an Ebay shifter. Same thing happened to me. Go out and get an OEM or better yet a Skunk 2 Dual bend. Any Civic OR Integra shifter will work.

Any being 92-00 Civic and 94-01 Integra

1Lowcoupe

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Is there a story behind this?
My friend went 12.8 in his mustang and in the same run the shift knob broke off haha

andrew256

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Is there a story behind this?
My friend went 12.8 in his mustang and in the same run the shift knob broke off haha
I was hauling ass out of a parking lot onto a hwy, shifting from 1st to 2nd and it snapped.

kreatine30

5+ Year Member
same thing happened to me, i will admit i had a skunk2 knob with a ebay shifter and just the other day SNAP! there goes the skunk2 knob in my hand. Just get the whole thing replaced.

superdave

5+ Year Member
Whats so much better about the dual bend because I've been thinking about getting one?

andrew256

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Funny this thread got bumped up because my cutting die got here today and I threaded it right where it broke and screwed on an OEM knob off an 05 EX.

Rountreesj

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
so you just have a "short shifter" now not a "short throw shifter". I cut my shifter of about 3-4" with a sawzaw and put the knob on and It is a lot thicker further down...Feels better too. I used to feel like my OEM shifter was sticking up above the dash, it was sooo high...