i dont have ABS

soleicey

5+ Year Member
ok i was wondering if i could get ABS installed in to my car, i have a 1997 civic hx

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the question i have is.... why would you want ABS? like is there a reason you need to have it? the total system adds about 40 pounds...

it can be done. but parts are usually hard to find second hand... most people just toss it. its honestly not worth the added headache of install. ABS boasts no real advantages in a civic. if you cant stop without abs... you sure wont be able to with it.

as a personal experience... not related to hondas.... my subaru has ABS. in the snow... with abs on... i cannot stop. the ABS puts pressure on my brake pedal so i cant step on it... it will not let me slow down...

with ABS disengaged.. yes i slide.. but my stopping distance is far superior... but then again... i have the AWD so i am able to keep control and power over when it comes around... in a FWD civic... this is a little tough.

but its your car and im sure you have your reasons. all im going to say is.... it can be done. but its a long road to get there

Wax Hands

Smell my finger
Registered VIP
It could be done however you would have to source just about everything from the Integra models with ABS. That would be the easiest way. However you would be making a lot of the brake lines and electrical yourself.

Plan on spending a few days with the task at hand.

In the end its not necessary.

RonJ

Banned
In the end, it might be easier and more economical to buy a Civic that already has ABS brakes. ABS brakes will reduce your stopping distance on normal roads under normal conditions.

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I think abs is a complete joke. When i was looking to buy a new truck, I absolutely would not buy one that had ABS in it. Which was very hard to find, but doable.

Every experience i've ever had with abs has always made things worse, than better.

Wax Hands

Smell my finger
Registered VIP
In the end, it might be easier and more economical to buy a Civic that already has ABS brakes. ABS brakes will reduce your stopping distance on normal roads under normal conditions.
Exactly.

I think abs is a complete joke. When i was looking to buy a new truck, I absolutely would not buy one that had ABS in it. Which was very hard to find, but doable.

Every experience i've ever had with abs has always made things worse, than better.
ABS is made to be user friendly, also as mentioned before it will stop your vehicle in a shorter distance under normal conditions. If ABS was just a joke the majority of high end sports car, Porsche, Mercedes Benz, etc wouldn't have ABS. ABS is also designed for the general public but it is a great safety feature. Most people panic under braking and will do anything to lock up their tires. Locking up your tires is counter productive in good braking, ABS is manipulating that effect.

On trucks personally I feel that ABS should be required. Especially when towing since ABS tends to work hand in hand with Traction Control and roll-over protection for road rigs. However I also believe there should be an ON/OFF switch.

bmac9269

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
u dont need them, i have a 98 hx and live in minnesota and all u gotta do is be somewhat cautious

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Exactly.

ABS is made to be user friendly, also as mentioned before it will stop your vehicle in a shorter distance under normal conditions. If ABS was just a joke the majority of high end sports car, Porsche, Mercedes Benz, etc wouldn't have ABS. ABS is also designed for the general public but it is a great safety feature. Most people panic under braking and will do anything to lock up their tires. Locking up your tires is counter productive in good braking, ABS is manipulating that effect.

On trucks personally I feel that ABS should be required. Especially when towing since ABS tends to work hand in hand with Traction Control and roll-over protection for road rigs. However I also believe there should be an ON/OFF switch.
There is a HUGE difference between the ABS system in a Porsche/Ferrari, etc. over that of your cheap, late model, japanese econo sedan. High end cars are balanced well and actually function when they're supposed to. Unlike your average vehicle where the ABS system goes nuts during a moderately quick stop.

To someone who panics and just mashes the pedal, sure, i could see it being helpful. Just like it's instinct for most to mash the clutch/brake on a 5spd when panic braking. Which (as you stated) just locks the tires and does absolutely no good. I also think you'd be surprised as to how many vehicles do not have abs systems (especially race cars and other various high end cars).

Wax Hands

Smell my finger
Registered VIP
There is a HUGE difference between the ABS system in a Porsche/Ferrari, etc. over that of your cheap, late model, japanese econo sedan. High end cars are balanced well and actually function when they're supposed to. Unlike your average vehicle where the ABS system goes nuts during a moderately quick stop.

To someone who panics and just mashes the pedal, sure, i could see it being helpful. Just like it's instinct for most to mash the clutch/brake on a 5spd when panic braking. Which (as you stated) just locks the tires and does absolutely no good. I also think you'd be surprised as to how many vehicles do not have abs systems (especially race cars and other various high end cars).

You obviously didn't understand the point of my post. Next time read it slowly so you can comprehend what is being said.

soleicey

5+ Year Member
ok i see what you guys are saying i was just wondering, i was just trying to be safe but most of you said it doesnt make that much of a difference

Wax Hands

Smell my finger
Registered VIP
ok i see what you guys are saying i was just wondering, i was just trying to be safe but most of you said it doesnt make that much of a difference
it does make a difference but installing it on your HX is going to cost more than what its worth. If you really want ABS then sell the HX and get a newer model that comes with ABS standard is really what we are getting at.

ekracer_83

hardcore rice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it does make a difference but installing it on your HX is going to cost more than what its worth. If you really want ABS then sell the HX and get a newer model that comes with ABS standard is really what we are getting at.
agreed. you don't need ABS on a non ABS car. save that money and get a car that already came with ABS.

denialmark

Today I was driving along at 40 MPH when a car cut out in front of me very last minute. I slammed on my brakes and I could see white smoke coming from the side of my car and the smell of burnt rubber. There was also the noise of tires skidding.

Well, what do you think?

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ask any real auto enthusiast,mechanic, or racer.ABS is for people who do not know how to operate a vehicle correctly.

when average joes and janes are driving while texting, applying makeup, and drinking coffee when they are supposed to be paying attention to the road, they lose critical distances in time for them to stop. so they panic , lock em up and slide.

ABS wont save you when they cant pay attention to operating a 3000 lb car. Since people cant do 2 things at once when driving, they tend to pick whats important at the moment.

Text, talk on the phone, make up, whatever.. then wonder why the ABS didnt do the job when they only had 20 feet to stop.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Today I was driving along at 40 MPH when a car cut out in front of me very last minute. I slammed on my brakes and I could see white smoke coming from the side of my car and the smell of burnt rubber. There was also the noise of tires skidding.

Well, what do you think?

Sounds like you burnt some rubber. That's normal in high speed stops.

Wax Hands

Smell my finger
Registered VIP

Well, what do you think?
Are you sure you wasnt dragging your butt across the floor at the high rate of speed? :lol:

/jk