I hate mechanics

lovevii

also an excellent reason to ask for the original parts so you can one, verify that they indeed changed them, and two to test them and see if they work or not.

right now with the heat on its way the main relay is your weak link. the solder in them crack and then dont work anymore due to excessive heat or sudden temp changes.
They told me that they changed the fuel pump and the car started for a bit, but the relay was overheating still and they had to change it too... And they changed the filter because the warranty on the pump wasn't good unless they did... It's over and done with now... Nothing I can do really to change it... Already paid for and the car is back in my possession... Needless to say, I'll never take my car there again... And hopefully, I won't ever have to take my car ANYWHERE.

1999stockaccord

Honduh's... LULZ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
YOU took it to THEM. Hell $40 for the tow was a STEAL, without AAA or a friend with a truck, I've never paid less than $100 for even a short tow, after hookup fees, ect.

As far as the filter and pump goes, it's pretty standard to replace them all at the same time. Reduces the chance of problems later. The screen might as well be replaced at the same time, the pump is already out. Sounds more like they diagnosed it as a fuel pump problem, and once they replaced the pump and filter, found out it was the relay.

Moving on to parts bought on your own versus the shop suppling them- you will always pay more at a shop, as explained they are businesses. Typically you get some sort of warranty either way, but a good shop will cover their labor as well.
If you take away the margin we make from the product, the only thing left is labor. Profit on labor can not sustain a business, unless labor rates are inflated even higher.

Welcome to owning a car that requires maintenance.

RonJ

Banned
They told me that they changed the fuel pump and the car started for a bit, but the relay was overheating still and they had to change it too... And they changed the filter because the warranty on the pump wasn't good unless they did... It's over and done with now... Nothing I can do really to change it... Already paid for and the car is back in my possession... Needless to say, I'll never take my car there again... And hopefully, I won't ever have to take my car ANYWHERE.
This is a perfect example of why you want to remain a Club Civic member and visit here often. In retrospect, had you posted your problem here when it happened, nearly any experienced member would have recognized this as a main relay problem. I don't want to make you feel bad, but the actual fix involves buying no new car parts. Instead, the fix is to resolder the main relay. Click here. The job is relatively easy and requires an inexpensive soldering gun and a small amount of solder. This problem is one of the most common for 4th and 5th gen Civics and is caused by a defect in manufacturing. If you ever have another problem, pay us a visit quickly before you start spending more money than you have.

Last edited:

RonJ

Banned
The CEL is on now... Code 16... Anyone know how to fix that? I frankly don't even know what a fuel injector is...
Start here. With the engine off, go to the main fuse box in the engine bay and remove 10A fuse #34 (see below) for about three minutes. This clears codes from the ECU. Then reinsert the fuse and drive the car to see whether the CEL turns on, and if so, whether code 16 repeats. Post the results and also mention whether the engine is experiencing any performance problems.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
After you released a bit more information, I still understand the price they charged. It runs in line with current shop rates. What I DON'T like is the fact that they charged you 2 1/2 hours to throw parts at a problem, that like RonJ said, was a FREE and easy fix. The main relay would have been the first thing I would have checked in a situation like that. There is a huge chance that your fuel pump was perfectly fine.

I am glad that you are going to try and take things in your own hands from now on. You will save a TON of money and most of the stuff isn't really all that hard. Most of it doesn't even require a huge assortment of tools. I have a bunch of specialty tools, but most of them only make the job easier and aren't necessarily required.

Stick around the site. There is a LOT of good knowledge here if you learn how to wade through the bulls**t and bad advise. With the good advise there is a LOT that are giving bad advise. Unfortunately it happens.

Good luck.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
And to top it off, the CEL is on now... Code 16... Anyone know how to fix that? I frankly don't even know what a fuel injector is...
The fuel pump sends the fuel from the tank through the lines to the injectors. The injectors are what sprays the fuel into the motor.

civicSIcoupe

All Day, Every Day
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ummm. its a honda man. hondas and acuras put a access panel under the seat (or in the trunk depending on the car) to get to the fuel pump and the sending unit. not tank dropage needed. I did the fuel pump and screen on my old 90 lude and it took a whole 20 minutes. main relay takes 5 seconds. and fuel pump another 10 minute. if you know what your doing it takes no time at all. live and learn man. nothing more you can do.
yeah i know that. but if you think about it in the eyes of a shop wanting to make money they will charge at least 30 mintues for every little thing, especially if they can't get a bolt/screw off/out. plus what if they didn't know it was accessible from the interior? then they would drop the tank like idiots. even if they didn't they probably just tallied up so much extra un-needed things. and i agree those parts are wayyy over priced.

just listen to the majority of us, and come here first if you have a problem, and try to troubleshoot it yourself before you take it somewhere. we can pretty much walk you through everything.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah i know that. but if you think about it in the eyes of a shop wanting to make money they will charge at least 30 mintues for every little thing, especially if they can't get a bolt/screw off/out. plus what if they didn't know it was accessible from the interior? then they would drop the tank like idiots. even if they didn't they probably just tallied up so much extra un-needed things. and i agree those parts are wayyy over priced.

just listen to the majority of us, and come here first if you have a problem, and try to troubleshoot it yourself before you take it somewhere. we can pretty much walk you through everything.
If you look at the contracts, most shops have a minimum charge. ANOTHER thing that one should make sure to look at before having work done.

My '07 Silverado work truck threw a wheel sensor code and the dealer wanted to charge me $110 to reset it. All it takes is to plug in the reader (can't remember the official name) and reset it through the computer. They were charging a minimum of an hour to just plug the scanner in. Luckily I found out that my good buddy works on Duramax equipped vehicles and he let me borrow his scanner.

BuiltforSin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Is there anything you can do when a mechanic completely rips you off?
I had my car towed to a shop and they replaced the fuel pump, fuel relay, fuel filter and fuel pump screen.
The tow was $35...
The total bill was $730...
I looked up the parts on Auto Zone... $250...
They charged me $239 for the Fuel Pump alone...
I'm so irate. But I don't think there's anything I can do now?
I see nothing wrong with what you posted. All places buy parts, and then mark them up a certain percentage to make a profit. Did they not give you an estimate?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Someone's a little late to the party.

lovevii

Start here. With the engine off, go to the main fuse box in the engine bay and remove 10A fuse #34 (see below) for about three minutes. This clears codes from the ECU. Then reinsert the fuse and drive the car to see whether the CEL turns on, and if so, whether code 16 repeats. Post the results and also mention whether the engine is experiencing any performance problems.

Did what you said twice... The CEL comes on the second you turn on the car, but now the LED is completely blank. Dunno what that means. The car drives fine, though. The idle seems off, but I might just be overanalyzing.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Did what you said twice... The CEL comes on the second you turn on the car, but now the LED is completely blank. Dunno what that means. The car drives fine, though. The idle seems off, but I might just be overanalyzing.
what LED?

RonJ

Banned
Just want to make sure I understand what you are saying. The CEL remains on steady while driving but when you look at the LED on the ECU, the LED is off, right? And code 16 is now gone, right?

(FYI: Code 16 is a classic sign of a bad main relay when a 4th or 5th generation Civic has starting problems. This was an additional bit of information indicating that the main relay was the cause of your original no-start problem.)

RonJ

Banned
what LED?
The OBD0 ECU of 4th generation Civics has an LED that blinks the CEL codes automatically without jumping a service connector or hooking up a scan tool. I don't know why Honda abandoned this convenient system. For later model Civics, I guess they wanted customers to bring their cars to the dealer for diagnosis ($$$).:x

Last edited:

lovevii

Just want to make sure I understand what you are saying. The CEL remains on steady while driving but when you look at the LED on the ECU, the LED is off, right? And code 16 is now gone, right?

(FYI: Code 16 is a classic sign of a bad main relay when a 4th or 5th generation Civic has starting problems. This was an additional bit of information indicating that the main relay was the cause of your original no-start problem.)
That's right. CEL stays on when the car is on... Code 16 is gone...

RonJ

Banned
Start by checking whether the 10A Hazard fuse #34 is blown.

If the fuse is fine, turn the key to ON(II) and check whether the CEL turns on and then off after 2 seconds, or whether it remains on steady. If it remains on steady, then disconnect ECU connector B (middle ECU connector below) and repeat the ON(II) test. Does the CEL still remain on steady?

Last edited:

lovevii

Start by checking whether the 10A Hazard fuse #34 is blown.

If the fuse is fine, turn the key to ON(II) and check whether the CEL turns on and then off after 2 seconds, or whether it remains on steady. If it remains on steady, then disconnect ECU connector B (middle ECU connector below) and repeat the ON(II) test. Does the CEL still remain on steady?

The same one I was pulling to reset the ECU? It's not blown.

Where is the ECU Connector B located?

The CEL, oil and battery lights are all on with key in (II)

RonJ

Banned
Where is the ECU Connector B located?

It is connected directly to the ECU itself (see post #55). The middle connector of three. See diagram above.

The CEL, oil and battery lights are all on with key in (II)

Does the CEL turn off after 2 seconds while the others remain on?

lovevii

I don't know where the ECU is, hence the question. lol :P
And the CEL stays on just like the other two... The other two turn off when the car is started, though...

EDIT: Nvm. Googled it. Heh do I leave it disconnected? I guess so.

EDIT2: Ok... With connector B disconnect, the CEL doesn't come on at all on (II)...