I hate mechanics

lovevii

See post #55. The LED is built into the ECU itself. Disconnect the middle connector (B) attached to the ECU.
Got it. The CEL doesn't come on at all with connector B disconnected.

lovevii

The ECU may be bad. Swap in a known good one to see whether the problem goes away.
I was afraid you might say that. So basically I need to buy a new ECU? I don't exactly have a spare laying around....

RonJ

Banned
What can I say? That's where your troubleshooting has taken you. Junk yard? ebay? Parts Wanted thread?

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
We charge $110 per hour at the Toyota dealership. And honestly, I really do recommend dealership work. After my experience with both independent shops and dealerships, the dealers really do turn out some of the best work. I usually do my own work (perks of working where I do) but i almost always buy OEM parts for my Honda :-)
the toyota dealership i use to work for got there parts from napa and half the mechanics were retarded there pre owned certification consisted of walking around the car and kicking the the tires. so dealerships can be just as bad as any hack job mechanic.

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't have the tools to work on my car. Nor the experience. Nor have I ever had a father or an older male influence to teach me anything about cars, sports, etc... Not a sob story, just sayin...

What about the $300 I'm giving them in labor? How much more profit do they want?

I'm a math teacher, not a car junkie. We all have our areas of expertise...
Are you f**king dense man? $300 is not PROFIT. That $300 in labor from doing your fuel pump and main relay is not a direct bottom line. It's not like the guy working on your car pocketed fifteen crisp $20 bills. Take into consideration the following:

Rent
Insurance
Utilities
Shop Materials
Worker's Salaries / Piece Meal Wages
Licensing
Disposal Fees / Hazmat

Etc, etc etc. It's not a guy standing in a field that used his mind to change your parts. There's a lot of pieces to the puzzle.

And f**k you for playing the 'father figure' card. I lost my dad when I was six years old, and saw him once every other weekend from when I was two years old. That is, if he wasn't drunk. If he was, I wouldn't see him, and I stayed with my grandmother.

And you know what? I can work on cars, pretty well actually. I learned by doing, and I learned by reading. Cars are not some magical mystery. They're straight forward and have instructions. Everything has a specific order and exact measurement -- much like the math you claim you teach.

So suck it up and pick up a wrench next time. On your car, I can probably do a fuel pump and main relay in 30-40 minutes, including the time it takes me to scratch my balls and drink a beer. And pee on the side of the garage.

f**k you're a b***h.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Uhhh ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh............

I do kind of agree though. My parents got divorced when I was 9, saw my father once a week. He didnt have the money to teach me much of anything about cars. My interest was sparked by my friends. And I learned by doing......how else are you going to learn? When you teach you students a new formula, you walk them through the steps. They are learning by doing. Same thing with your car.

lovevii

Are you f**king dense man? $300 is not PROFIT. That $300 in labor from doing your fuel pump and main relay is not a direct bottom line. It's not like the guy working on your car pocketed fifteen crisp $20 bills. Take into consideration the following:

Rent
Insurance
Utilities
Shop Materials
Worker's Salaries / Piece Meal Wages
Licensing
Disposal Fees / Hazmat

Etc, etc etc. It's not a guy standing in a field that used his mind to change your parts. There's a lot of pieces to the puzzle.

And f**k you for playing the 'father figure' card. I lost my dad when I was six years old, and saw him once every other weekend from when I was two years old. That is, if he wasn't drunk. If he was, I wouldn't see him, and I stayed with my grandmother.

And you know what? I can work on cars, pretty well actually. I learned by doing, and I learned by reading. Cars are not some magical mystery. They're straight forward and have instructions. Everything has a specific order and exact measurement -- much like the math you claim you teach.

So suck it up and pick up a wrench next time. On your car, I can probably do a fuel pump and main relay in 30-40 minutes, including the time it takes me to scratch my balls and drink a beer. And pee on the side of the garage.

f**k you're a b***h.
What part about no name calling in the forum did you miss?
I don't know what your problem is, but there's no need to be getting so upset.
I was mad because it seemed high to me. I've already had 15 other people tell me I was wrong. I don't need one more person being extremely rude.
And people die. Get over it. At least you had him for 6 years. I've never met my father and I spent the first 21 years of my life having to take care of my alcoholic mother. I don't need you to tell me about your hard life.
I've already admitted I was wrong. Can we move forward now?
Thanks.

lovevii

Uhhh ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh............

I do kind of agree though. My parents got divorced when I was 9, saw my father once a week. He didnt have the money to teach me much of anything about cars. My interest was sparked by my friends. And I learned by doing......how else are you going to learn? When you teach you students a new formula, you walk them through the steps. They are learning by doing. Same thing with your car.
My students have me to teach them how to do it. Yes, they learn by doing, but they also have someone to show them.
Bad analogy.
But yes, I get where you're coming from. I already said I was gonna try to learn to do things myself now. And if you kept reading you'd see I'm troubleshooting my own CEL and possibly bad ECU with RonJ right now.

lovevii

What can I say? That's where your troubleshooting has taken you. Junk yard? ebay? Parts Wanmted thread?
What all has to match up when you buy a replacement ECU? I'm pretty sure the part number is the best bet, but apparently my ECU is rare and expensive haha... Was gonna check first to see how likely a different ECU is to work... I drive an 89 Civic hatch with a 1.5L engine and manual transmission.

RonJ

Banned
What all has to match up when you buy a replacement ECU? I'm pretty sure the part number is the best bet, but apparently my ECU is rare and expensive haha... Was gonna check first to see how likely a different ECU is to work... I drive an 89 Civic hatch with a 1.5L engine and manual transmission.
The type of ECU in your Civic should be printed on it. It will say something like PM5 or PW0, and possibly some other numbers. Post those numbers. You need to get the same ECU for a manual transmission not an automatic transmission.

lovevii

The type of ECU in your Civic should be printed on it. It will say something like PM5 or PW0, and possibly some other numbers. Post those numbers. You need to get the same ECU for a manual transmission not an automatic transmission.
PM5 A180

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Damn, Eran. That was totally uncalled for. The dude already admitted his mistake and is trying to learn from it. I guess it makes you feel like a better man though. What ever helps you sleep at night.

I sure hope he at least received an infraction for that nonsense.

Op: good luck with the new ECU. Hope that solves the code problem.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Eran didn't read the full thread. He saw that one post by the OP (which I also found to be an offensive cop out) and replied. That's all.

Eran's dad was out drinking with friends the night before Thanksgiving. He was driving home that morning and crashed headfirst into a tree. Eran was watching cartoons in his dad's mom's living room when the phone rang. His grandmother picked up the phone, screamed and dropped the phone at the news that her only son had died hours before.

Eran's spent much of his childhood taking care of his bipolar mother (not to mention some other problems).

He wasn't trying to one up anyone and the fact that his father died certainly doesn't make him "feel like a better man". I've had to pick Eran up from his dad's grave site recently. He's not been having a good time with that entire issue lately. (Background: My father died very quickly recently too and it's brought a lot that up for Eran too.) The whole situation of his father dying isn't a good thing in any sense.

Eran doesn't care to start a fight with the OP or anyone else over this. He just felt he needed to give a piece of his mind after that post.

The OP's post where he mentioned not having a dad to teach him about cars was highly liable to pull at some heartstrings in all the bad ways. I hope that the situation is seen as potentially insulting as it was and therefore just called a draw.

Anyway, on with the thread and figuring out the OP's problem.

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
LOL @ '09 and '10 members telling me how I should act.

*golfclap*