I just bought a 1988 d15 carburated and it has problems

ace1350

5+ Year Member
Alrighty i just bought this car three days ago and fluids, fuses, are good starts and runs fine except...
1- gauge lights work seatbelt, blinkers, oil, check engine (which is on permanently so there's more probs) etc... however the gauges don' work temp, fuel, and speedo... any ideas?
2- Runs great until you accelerate real hard and about est. 4000+ rpms it misfires and continues to run while revs jump up and down, I think it's a sensor but no clue.
3- It smokes what's new it's 20 yrs old and has 190xxx+ on it... smokes worse during prob 2. Any ideas on how to make it smoke less would be appreciated.
I'll be honest guys I'm used to old v8's no computers or sensors or nothing. I decided to get a tuner cheap (800 wooh!) so I could save gas money but I wanna do all the cool stuff to, lowering, turbo,nitrous you name it I want it. Any ideas would be appreciated thanks. ps kinda want a b16 or 18 is taht hard to do?

ace1350

5+ Year Member
Hey guys I know that all that sounds real poser but I'm 17 and I'm teaching myself give me a break. I just need to get the thing running good so I can save money... then do all the things to it. need help asap

Buckn8ked

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what color of smoke ? thats a starting point black means burning oil =bad rings or valve seals ,white smoke is coolant =bad head gasket ,or gas smelling smoke =too rich or emision problems. hope this helps and welcome to CC =)

ace1350

5+ Year Member
Thans man when I get home from school today... if I ever do I'm gettin plates for the civ today and that could take forever but when I do I'll see what kind of smoke it is...I have a supsicion its the head gasket cause I took out one spark plug (second from the left) and smoke poured out of that cylinder and ther was tons of oil in the area before the spark plug the little shaft thing. I cleaned all of them and now I just gotta wait till I get home. Thanks

bacon_bits

5+ Year Member
Thans man when I get home from school today... if I ever do I'm gettin plates for the civ today and that could take forever but when I do I'll see what kind of smoke it is...I have a supsicion its the head gasket cause I took out one spark plug (second from the left) and smoke poured out of that cylinder and ther was tons of oil in the area before the spark plug the little shaft thing. I cleaned all of them and now I just gotta wait till I get home. Thanks
if there is oil in the sparkplug shaft , buy a valve cover set when you buy the head gasket , other wise your just gunna keep getting oil in the shaft for the spark plug

ace1350

5+ Year Member
Alright I'll do that. Figured out the gauges problem too so we're cool there. I'm gonna change the head gasket and valve cover set probably in about two weeks...Still gotta pay the parents and then save themoney. Oh well thanks guys for helpin me out.