I need a "semi-loud" exhaust system?

dnunit

Banned
I was looking into some exhaust systems for my Civic, and I searched around the forums and I found that the Greddy Evo2 exhaust was an excellent one, and I think it does sound great...but it's a little too quiet for my taste. I need a sort of "semi-loud" exhaust system that's definitely louder than the Evo 2, but doesn't sound like a ricer fart weed whacker cannon. What's your recommendation(s)?

92civicboost

Crackin V tec
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I think the greedy evo exhaust is really nice and gives some good power. Quiet when your not on it but when you stomp on the gas you can hear the power.. But thats my choice.. they are exspensive

BlackHopeDC5

Is Black Again??? :shock:
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
how come your not interested in performance gains..?

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
BlackHope121 said:
Because w/our 4 bangers, a catback adds what, 2-3hp? :what:

JL

Doodoo Brown Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
BlackHope121 said:
IMO whenever choosing exhaust systems it is all about sound and appearance because the gain difference will not make or brake any race or shorten times. I based all of my choices over the years on appearance and sound.

I'd say that Tanabe and Spoon would fall under what was described. Those are the only ones I have first hand experience w/.

xxsenceo89x

aka superman
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
why not just get a ebay intake :what:

if you add that to the greddy it might be the sound you want.

ryanM

BlackHope121 said:
because its an exhaust, the sound and appearence is more important than the so-called "performance gains" of a cat-back

dnunit

Banned
BlackHope121 said:
I am interested in performance gains just as much as sound. I just didn't mention it.

Just as JL said...most people buy exhaust system based on their appearance and sound because the power gains are minimal.

Sorry for the double post.

collins2006

5+ Year Member
I have an Tanabe exhaust system and it works really well with my 97 jdm type r....its really loud when i get on it and when im not getting on it sounds like a stock exhaust

91SIHatch

SOHC IT
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah tanabe is good, greddy, apexi, thermal, rsr, just about any of them will giv eyou a more aggressive tone, some more than others.

BlackHopeDC5

Is Black Again??? :shock:
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the most important part of choosing the exhaust is the performance...IMO

sure exhaust dont gain 10 hp put it can hurt you..

IMO you should find the piping size for your application first... 2.25 inches is for my car... 2.5 inches is for more powerful cars.. 3 inches is for really powerful cars..

after deciding the piping size that limits the amount of catbacks you are looking at... Then look for appearance and sound.. I wouldnt go out and buy a 3 inch catback just cause it looks good and sounds good.. Its gonna feel like s**t with no low end back pressure

Thats what i mean by performance.. Im not critizing im just saying

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
tjlucas said:
if u want ur exaust to be loud and not fartcan, u need a new car, american
why?

stright pipe with a magnaflow will be plenty loud

PANGES

Tree > Skyline 240sx :(
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
u can get the greddy evo and get the resonators removed for a straightpipe, then add a header and testpipe. I'm sure that'll be plenty semi-loud.