I need HELP!

dropstar

5+ Year Member
03 si coupe. I am having intermittent overheating problems! once a week or once every 2 weeks or so!!! I think its the head gasket. anyone have similar problems ever??????

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
i'm sure there's a lot of people tat have intermit. overheating problems not only with 7th gens but with every car made.

khooper

5+ Year Member
If the fan is running and the car is really running hot it is a problem with coolant circulation, either a thermostat that isn't opening fully (I have seen intermittent ones) or crud buildup in the radiator. would suggest replacing the thermostat first (or removing it for a while as a test) to see how the temperature behaves, and if it behaves badly a good radiator flush.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i'm sure there's a lot of people tat have intermit. overheating problems not only with 7th gens but with every car made.
not really...

i'd say check the thermostat first, i'm assuming you've checked your coolant

dropstar

5+ Year Member
Thanks for your reply ! You bring up a good point!
I actually just had the thermostat replaced 3 months ago. the failsafe honda one too. And every once in a while i can tell that the car may act up when i turn on the heat and it is only cold air instead of warm air. Sometimes the temp guage shoots right up to hot at which point i would be pulled over and have the car turned off for a few mins till it cools. Sometimes the temp guage will just bounce around from 3/8 s level ( being normal) , to approximate 5/8s level. I have also had a cylinder leakdown test and a compression test done and both were good results!!! would you still think its a gunked up coolant system.

stljman123

5+ Year Member
Hi, new here but not a noob on auto repair.

Always start with the simple and cheap things. First 3 are simple and free/cheap.

Check fluid - is it the proper fluid and correctly mixed?

Radiator cap - seen many fail - cheap to replace.

T-stat - test it on the stove in pot of water, watch it open. I've had several fail brand new - none are failsafe.

Drain your radiator and refill - if bad gunk comes out...on to the next step or....you could run clean water through the system repeatedly for an hour with engine on - poor man's flush. Remember to fill and drain with distilled water, run for a few minutes with distilled water, drain...then add 50/50 antifreeze.

Radiator - pressure cleaning at a radiator shop can get rid of built up gunk...likely result off someone used tap water or cheap antifreeze...solved my overheating problem in an old accord. The guy only charged me $25 for the cleaning.

Water pump - impellers can get pitted or worse, disintegrate. That happened to my Mercedes...but hey it had 300K miles on that water pump - not bad I'd say.

I hope this helps.