I need help!

ActualCro

Hey guys!

I have a 2000 civic ex 5 speed manual. I was driving home tonight while on the interstate (60 mph) I noticed my cluster light started to flicker slightly. I thought it was my stereo so I lowered my volume to see if that was the problem. But the cluster kept flickering. I thought nothing of it and kept driving. But about 5 miles down the road I noticed that the car wasn't pushing out power like normal. I pushed the accelerator down and didn't gain much speed at all. (I was on a flat road, no incline) I started to freak out a little more. (The cluster was still flickering) so now I'm almost near my exit and I change lanes. I look down to match the speed of the construction zone (45 mph) and I released the accelerator. But it didn't move from 60 mph the needle stayed there at 60 mph. (My foot is off of the accelerator and I'm in neutral) I freak out a ton more and now I'm on my exit and the cluster light does a huge flicker, almost off. I threw I my hazards and pulled to the side of my exit. While pulling to the side the car died. When the car died no check engine light came on. Just the oil light, and the battery light. (I changed my oil about 1000 miles ago) I called my uncle and told him what happened. I decided to drive the car to my house or at least try to (about 5 miles from that location) I go to turn the car on and it made a knocking sound coming from the fan. So it started but my rpms went down to 0. Then died. I tried again and this time I tapped the accelerator to keep the car alive and proceeded down the road. I know it's not much help but hopefully it'll help. All information or input would help tremendously. Thank you guys in advance. I appreciate it.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

ActualCro

Also my heat gauge didn't increase.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Check your connections to the battery and alternator. If they're all tight then my guess is your alternator needs replacing.

ActualCro

Check your connections to the battery and alternator. If they're all tight then my guess is your alternator needs replacing.
Thank you for the quick response. I checked the battery and everything was tight. Nothing was loose on the alternator either. Is there any other information I could give you that might help?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
None that would help me. Random flickering of the gauge cluster and dashboard lights accompanied with engine response malfunctions like you described are tell-tale signs of a faulty alternator. Thats not to say it couldn't be something else I'm forgetting at the moment. You may want to seek out a free alternator testing locally before visiting a shop. If it turns out to be the alternator then find a shop that refurbs them. It shouldn't be expensive.

ActualCro

Hey man. So I got some bad news. I had my friend come over. A much older and wiser man than I. He's been working on cars for 30+ years. He came over and checked the Honda out. He said it's a rod. I think we're just going to replace the engine. The current one I have is a d16y8. What engine swap could I do to avoid all these extra costs? As far as tuning etc. I'm honestly in a tight spot and pretty much f**ked.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just get another D16Y8 to keep it simple. Finding one should be easy too.

Last edited:

ActualCro

I'll be going to the junkyard tomorrow. Hopefully I can find one. I appreciate your time, I'll keep you posted if you'd like.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Look on craigslist too.

Vetch civic boy

Hey guys!

I have a 2000 civic ex 5 speed manual. I was driving home tonight while on the interstate (60 mph) I noticed my cluster light started to flicker slightly. I thought it was my stereo so I lowered my volume to see if that was the problem. But the cluster kept flickering. I thought nothing of it and kept driving. But about 5 miles down the road I noticed that the car wasn't pushing out power like normal. I pushed the accelerator down and didn't gain much speed at all. (I was on a flat road, no incline) I started to freak out a little more. (The cluster was still flickering) so now I'm almost near my exit and I change lanes. I look down to match the speed of the construction zone (45 mph) and I released the accelerator. But it didn't move from 60 mph the needle stayed there at 60 mph. (My foot is off of the accelerator and I'm in neutral) I freak out a ton more and now I'm on my exit and the cluster light does a huge flicker, almost off. I threw I my hazards and pulled to the side of my exit. While pulling to the side the car died. When the car died no check engine light came on. Just the oil light, and the battery light. (I changed my oil about 1000 miles ago) I called my uncle and told him what happened. I decided to drive the car to my house or at least try to (about 5 miles from that location) I go to turn the car on and it made a knocking sound coming from the fan. So it started but my rpms went down to 0. Then died. I tried again and this time I tapped the accelerator to keep the car alive and proceeded down the road. I know it's not much help but hopefully it'll help. All information or input would help tremendously. Thank you guys in advance. I appreciate it.

I have the same problem It could be the lights are about to blow my lights go in and out off and on but it could be a bad battery also. Have u checked ur fuses to everything? I found out it would be good to replace all fuses about once every year or 2 if it's not the battery or the fuses then it has to be in the wires

Vetch civic boy

Hey man. So I got some bad news. I had my friend come over. A much older and wiser man than I. He's been working on cars for 30+ years. He came over and checked the Honda out. He said it's a rod. I think we're just going to replace the engine. The current one I have is a d16y8. What engine swap could I do to avoid all these extra costs? As far as tuning etc. I'm honestly in a tight spot and pretty much f**ked.

Stick with the y8 keep ur other motor for parts I did a y8 to a y7 because I cracked 2 pistons and spun a barring and jumped time of my timing belt. If u switch motors u would have to change the wireing harnesses and problem a motor mount. Make sure u change ur timing belt and water pump before u put ur new motor in ur car