i think i might have an electrical problem

wmertz

~multi-colored beast~
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The first time i noticed this i was at radio shack when my 92 civic just dies out of no where. i thought i may have ran out of gas since i was on a hill. A little after i noticed my fuel pump nor my cd player was turning on but the engine would crank over.

Then eventually my fuel pump kicked on and it was fine for a couple days. Then yesterday rolled around it was kinda bogging out when i was goin up a mountain by my house.

When i got home i replaced my neg terminal and cleaned the grounds coming off of it( one going to the chasis and one going to the starter) and the ground off the valve cover.

After that i take it for a drive and it seemed to be alright then i got to an intersection and anytime after i finally got the car started it would die when i just tried to get it off the side of the road.

My main relay doesnt seem to have any cracks in it looks alright. Im just lookin for any help at all.

thanks

wmertz

~multi-colored beast~
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
bump it up.. what would cause my fuel pump, cd player and cluster lights not to work

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hmm... thats a tough one... Happened to a friend of mine once, let me ask him and get back to ya.

wmertz

~multi-colored beast~
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
alright thanks

Raabe

Hell yea I suck toes!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

wmertz

~multi-colored beast~
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
would a bad main relay cause the cd player not to turn on, as well as the fuel pump

wmertz

~multi-colored beast~
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well i switched out the relay and never installed my cd player back into the car. The car was driving fine for about 45 minutes of driving, parked for about an hour or two, went back out and about 20 minutes it died, when i turned the key, the fuel pump didnt kick on, but the relay did do its first click, so i believe i eliminated the relay problem and maybe the cd player causing this.

Any ideas

knotapunk

5+ Year Member
it just sounds like your fuel pump is dying. Mine did the same thing last summer, and is doing it again...not sure why I'd kill 2 pumps in a year, but hey...it happened. My trick was removing my back seat, grabbing a screw driver, and tapping the top of the pump everytime I'd go to start my car. Usually, well, at first anyway, it would be fine until I'd turn it off...after a while, it started dying on me just driving down a normal flat road....check the fuel filter under your hood also. Could be a lose line, or it's clogged with gas tank dirt.

wmertz

~multi-colored beast~
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
im not doubting the fuel pump going, but why would a bad fuel pump kill the power to the cd player as well?

sf22189

names Brenton
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Check the under hood fuses. Check all the screws for the big fuses too and make sure that they are down tight.

sm02

5+ Year Member
This reply might be a little late, but I just wanted to let you know that the same exact thing happened to my 92 civic.

Turns out, it was the computer that needed to be replaced because it was freaking out. Had it changed and no problems ever since.

slowcivic E G

bla bla bla
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
theres a wire that bolts onto your alternator, its probably a 6-8 gauge wire, check to make sure it is tight, on my car, the terminal broke off of the wire but was making contact sometimes and my car acted very similar to what you are describing.