I want an AEM CAI but...

daoshao

5+ Year Member
aem or injen cai intakes generate more power than short ram intakes period....
-i tried a short ram intake and barely i can feel anything....put on injen cai and i haul ass....well, i do have a b18...that also helps to haul ass.....better response...faster acceleration..

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Just to clear up a few things. As a general rule, short ram is better for low end torque, cold air for more hi end hp. If you go cold air, be ready to risk blowing the engine if you go through a puddle of water. I've seen that K&N typhoon intakes usually outperform other brands. Check their website for dyno results.

Redbone

Movin on up...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
going through a puddle isn't going to screw your engine with a CAI, that's just hype. I even drove mine through flooded washes on paved roads and still running fine. Only thing you have to worry about is if you submerge the thing in water, not if it gets wet.

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I know 3 people that have hydrolocked the motor driving through puddles in the rain. Its not just hype. Wanna know something else? That bypass aem sells doesn't work unless the entire filter is under water. Otherwise splashes get sucked right into the motor. And everyone thinks you get cold air because the filter is nearly touching the ground...well the air still has to travel through a hot intake tube before it reaches the engine. I've seen better gains on the dyno from an sri than from cold air so it really isn't worth all the risk.

JR-Style

Technician
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you want the best performance and sound when it comes to breathing.. a header is the way to go, best gains out of full cat back exhaust, or cold air intake.. the most gains come from the header. Plus they make the car roAR a little better :P

jokenfu21

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
there's a bunch of misleading info in this thread.
CIVICHICIK - I suggest reading the stickies about intake systems in this forum. it'll help you more than tryin to figure out what people are saying on here...

Blazed

f**k The Powers That B
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
civichick...get what u want.

and if u want an aem cai let me know...i just too out my d16 and i will sell the aem cai that i had on there..i have the bypass as well.but the b***h is f**ked..but u can use half piping and it'll be a aem sri..:lol:

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
gearbox said:
I Otherwise splashes get sucked right into the motor. ....
They should have put their fender liners back in. Warranties usually don't cover stupidity. Besides a little water ingested into your intake is not harmful. Water vapor has been used to control detonation on high compression and boosted engines for decades. Sort of a budget intercooler.

gearbox said:
...well the air still has to travel through a hot intake tube before it reaches the engine. .
Air is a poor conductor of heat. The split second of proximity to a hot metal tube does not significantly heat the air.

gearbox said:
.... I've seen better gains on the dyno from an sri than from cold air...
I'll agree with you there but not for the reasons you stated.

In peak horsepower the gains seem to be best on an SRI. That would be fine if we were all driving Salisbury Drive/CVTs but most of us do not and we have to upshift. At that point in the RPM range the CAI may have helped produce a superior amount of torque and horsepower.

Peak horsepower gains are nice but more horsepower throughout several thousand rpm will often allow a car with less peak power to be faster.

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
my sri makes alot more torque down low and only 2whp up high. Great for daily driving cause I rarely go past 5k anyway. And even then only for a second before it shifts.

civichick

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lol I think i have to agree with you on this. but i appreciate everyone's input!

CivicDX94

5+ Year Member
hi kristina, well i got a short ram intake from ebay and like everyone said, it is a piece of crap. the engine sounds louder but it has a hissing whistling noise that it is annoying at times. also you have to see if Florida has strict emition regulations like California does. so if you dont really want to spend the big buck dont bother then.

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Beelzebubba said:
Air is a poor conductor of heat. The split second of proximity to a hot metal tube does not significantly heat the air.

also, how hot does an intake tube get anyway? i just drove 6 hours to oregon and i popped my hood when i got there to check it out and the intake tube wasn't hot at all, even though the engine bay was hot

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
my metal tube gets too hot to touch in the summer. But at freeway speeds it may keep cooler.

My92Civic

I really have a 93...doh!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It does add power, just you wont really feel it unless you speed up at HIGH RPM's and thats when it adds powa

mugen00

American Honda=Domestic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Dont go cheap on engine parts! Go with a company thats known for bulding quality parts.

j_fukin_t

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Inigo Montoya said:
not true.

the stock airbox uses corrogated plastic tubing which has bevels on the inside which disrupts airflow. so technically, you wont be getting the same performance.
whatever, in my expiernce i didn't get s**t out of it but a cool sound and no more ugly air box, and NO performance that i could feel

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
haha yup. Most intakes don't add much power at all. The stock resonator also plays a part in enhancing midrange due to sound wave matching. Its been tested and proven, that's why every aftermarket intake has a drop between 3-4k below stock torque.

Inigo Montoya