Identify this part & Leak **SOLVED**

Eager2Learn

Hey friends,

I just inherited a used 1999 Honda Civic LX sedan. It had an overheating issue before and I suspected a leaking headgasket. Well, I just recently replaced the fan switch, thermostat, bottom radiator hose, and added new coolant.

It ran good after that, no overheating issues.

Eventually, though, the car started having trouble starting up, it would crank but not start over. So I replaced the starter and went to replace my spark plugs and noticed burnt oil residue on the plugs. I thought it was a leaking valve cover gasket so I went to replace that. When I popped off the valve cover, it was covered in sludge, it looked like mud. So I thought, ok, the headgasket is busted, but the leak wasn't much so I bought a bottle of 32oz Blue Devil Headgasket sealer and flushed all my coolant out and replaced with distilled water and the sealer.​

It has been about 70 miles so far since I applied the headgasket sealer. Everything drives well, starts up fine. Although my car still has trouble starting over. I would start it up and it would act like its going to die, then "revive" itself back to normal. I just think its because I am currently running near empty on gas. But if I cold start it, it would start up just fine.

Well anyways, I was doing my usual inspection for leaks and I noticed fresh oil on a mysterious car part located behind the radiator just under the distributor cap.

I wiped it off and I would notice oil leaking back out. I can't exactly pin point the location of the leak, I saw no cracks. I'm hoping its just a loose bolt that I need to tighten or a worn gasket that needs replacing.​

I thought I'd ask you guys since I cannot ask Google because I do not know what is the name of this part. I did a quick google search trying and the closest I got was "transmission" but the oil is leaking through the part connected to the "transmission."​

I attached a link to the picture of the part I'm talking about, the oil is leaking where the red arrow is and pools just at the bottom.​

I would appreciate your help.​

Thank you,

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Last edited:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I also shortened your title because " "New" Used Car Owner, What is this part and Why is it Leaking?" was too long. Keeping it short & to the point will help you the most.

Last edited:

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
To be exact, that is the "lock up control solenoid valve A/B assembly"

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
here is a diagram for you.

upload_2016-1-27_23-8-12.png

Eager2Learn

Hi, everybody.

Thank you for the replies. After further research, the item I circled is indeed, a shift solenoid. Turns out my problem wasn't that bad. It just so happens the oil was leaking out of my valve cover gasket, and onto the top of my transmission housing. I took care of it though so no more leaks. Thanks again

If Im not mistaken, thats a shift solenoid.
http://www.hondapartsunlimited.com/auto-parts/1999/honda/civic-sedan/lx-trim/4-speed-automatic-engine/transmission-automatic-cat/at-transmission-housing-scat

Howver, Check if the oil is coming from underneath the distributor as it may be the distributor seal. You can use that website to search through the parts diagrams identify the names of parts you dont know.
Hey, HeX, thank you for the website, I will be sure to put this to good use. Thanks again.

Last edited:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Youre welcome, bud. Use & abuse it in good informative health.