idle/constant throttle problem.!!! help

Kingjames83

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
When I drive at a higher rpm and try to hold that speed my car tends to act like I am quickly steping on the peddle and letting off... so an inconsistancy in spend which causes a minor lurch. Its only when I am trying to hold a speed steady say 60km (cad) per hour in 3rd gear at around 3k rpm.
I car also idles funny sometimes, I mean around 100 rpm and doesn't stall out as well as a flucuating idle between 500rpm and 1000 rpm. I did notice a bit of white smoke today when idling but it didn't smell sweet and went away after I drove it.... so I think that part was just condensation.

My engine is a b16a with stock ecu (but it did the same thing with a type r program) stage 2 cams, skunk valvetrain, shave head etc.

Any suggestions or advice is welcomed!

Thanks

James

Coutts

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
When I drive at a higher rpm and try to hold that speed my car tends to act like I am quickly steping on the peddle and letting off... so an inconsistancy in spend which causes a minor lurch. Its only when I am trying to hold a speed steady say 60km (cad) per hour in 3rd gear at around 3k rpm.
I car also idles funny sometimes, I mean around 100 rpm and doesn't stall out as well as a flucuating idle between 500rpm and 1000 rpm. I did notice a bit of white smoke today when idling but it didn't smell sweet and went away after I drove it.... so I think that part was just condensation.

My engine is a 16 with stock ecu (but it did the same thing with a type r program) stage 2 cams, skunk valvetrain, shave head etc.

Thanks

James
u said the engine is a 16, im just going by how u said cams that its a b16 and not a d16 correct? sounds like a iacv going bad maybe? i know that can cause your idle to go sour.

builthatch

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

My engine is a b16a with stock ecu (but it did the same thing with a type r program) stage 2 cams, skunk valvetrain, shave head etc.

Thanks

James
i'd check ignition components, especially coil and plugs.

the idle issue could be that as well, but it also could be a vacuum leak or as stated, a gummed up iacv. i do not see an iacv or vacuum issue causing the initial problem you stated that occurs during driving. if it was lower in the rpm while driving, then i would say vacuum issue, but it's too high for that. sounds like an ignition issue, possibly a beat fuel filter.

Kingjames83

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thanks I appreciate your repsonses!
anyone else?

Kingjames83

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
My car is now idling like a total bag of s**t... I mean every time I put it in neutral it drops to almost nothing and stalls out half the time! Its not throwing any engine codes yet. Sometimes it idles just fine and next stop sign it might stall out... very inconsistant.
ANYONE??

builthatch

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My car is now idling like a total bag of s**t... I mean every time I put it in neutral it drops to almost nothing and stalls out half the time! Its not throwing any engine codes yet. Sometimes it idles just fine and next stop sign it might stall out... very inconsistant.
ANYONE??
did you go through, on your car, the items i listed???

clean iacv, check fuel filter, check plugs/wires/coil/ignitor/cap/rotor, check vacuum at idle, check for vac leaks at the gaskets, etc???

Kingjames83

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I am going to do all that on the weekend! I just bought a new cap/ rotor and fuel filter.... the plugs and wires are new and I am going to take the IACV off and clean it... I usually dont do that stuff myself but I heard it easy and all you need is TB cleaner.

builthatch

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I am going to do all that on the weekend! I just bought a new cap/ rotor and fuel filter.... the plugs and wires are new and I am going to take the IACV off and clean it... I usually dont do that stuff myself but I heard it easy and all you need is TB cleaner.
hehe, yeah, you'll be just fine! troubleshooting like this is great experience because it's bound to happen again down the line, either with this setup or your next one!

Kingjames83

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^ thanks... I know the fuel filter is easy just watch you dont break or pinch the line but how hard is the cap and rotor?

builthatch

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^ thanks... I know the fuel filter is easy just watch you dont break or pinch the line but how hard is the cap and rotor?
cap rotor are easy! undo the cap bolts, remove that, undo the rotor screw, remove that, then replace as it came apart. do not overtighten any of the screws but make sure the rotor one is snug. also watch that the cap gasket stays in place when reassembling.