idle control valve

bonnie17

My daughter car idle is low like 500 rpm and took it to the dealer and they said no codes are poping up and they think it is the idle control valve and they cannot guarentee and they said wait till it gets worse and the code comes up I am confused here. The car rides good. when she is cold the rpm is higher and when she is warmed up she drops she used to fluctuate alot cleaned the throttle body out and seems to be alittle better It is a 98 hx civic any help would be appre when we use the ac she don't stall thanks again

95coupeWI

Registered VIP
Try adjusting the idle so it idles higher? or maybe reset your idle, but i couldn't tell you how to do that. There is a little flat head screw on top of the intake manifold that you can turn. to the Right- higher rpms left- lower rpms

civic209

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Low idle isnt really that bad is it? Car usually idles high when its cold and then when it warms up it should go down. But if your not having any fluctuating problems then I dont think its a big issue :what:

Gunner

Registered VIP
Is the low idle making the car shake or sound like it is going to stall? it will get lower once the car is warmed up..

The Idle Adjust screw is located above the air intake pipe on the throttle housing. The Idle Adjust screw on my friends '98 honda civic had a plastic film/covering over the screw so it was not easily noticeable. Once you remove the material, you can see and adjust the screw with a flathead screwdriver.

Also, inspect your Idle Air Control valve screen. His had so much gunk build up and all he needed to do was clear the dirt and carbon deposit with carbureter cleaner rather than adjusting the Idle screw.

Can also read this link good test and fix for your issue.

http://www.hondacarforum.com/honda-2/8334-97-civic-idle-adjustment.html