Idle/start issues: 99 LX

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I change my cap and rotor at 30k. That set screw is a PITA!

I'm using that Accel coil and it's been fine.

pantyraid

=^.^=
100% definitely always stay with OEM sensors. An off brand o2 sensor specifically, will give you more headaches and are the cause of a lot of failures and misdiagnosis. I would do the full tune up first and see how that goes. Make sure the wires are NGK as well.

I would replace the wires before checking spark. If they are worn or cracked, you wouldn't like the shock they put out. Doesn't feel too good. Bad wires can do weird things. The heat of the engine could cause things to expand and loose contact, solder points on the crimped ends could be cracked and losing contact at varied points, etc.

I would definitely replace the cap and rotor as well. They are the single most overlooked part to an ignition system. I have had people get to me with a poorly running car that has been having starting issues only to find out that the rotor is corroded and the inside of the cap is all nasty.

If you don't know when the last time a full tune up was done, it needs to be done before proceeding with anything else. Troubleshooting a car for major stuff that still hasn't had the basics done is a huge waste of time. I won't touch someone's car to diag poor running or starting if they haven't had a tune up in a long time. The simple stuff can cause the biggest problems.
Ok awesome thanks, I found the ngk plug wires on amazon, so those plus distributor cap, rotor, ignition coil, another set of plugs, and maybe another fuel filter should be what I start with? Am I forgetting anything?

Oil and oil filter were both changed recently, and the air filters pretty new too although it is kinda flimsy compared to the old one, would a pcv valve count as a tune up item too? I know I've seen tune up kits with them in there but I'm not sure if that's typical or not

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Im sure the fuel filter you put on will be fine. But change out those parts and go from there.

The 0420 cat code isnt anything to worry about unless you have inspections.