idles high

superdave

5+ Year Member
my car idles at 1500 when i first start up and it always has but now that its cold it wants to stay between 1700 and 2000 after i touch the gas. i've tried the idle screw on the throttle body and turned it all the to the right and that brought it down when it was warm out to about 1300 but it hasn't done anything for it now that its kinda cold out. what the hell could it be? i'm gonna take off the iacv tomorrow to see if that helps but do y'all know anything else it may sound like?

henkz0r

Unobtanium Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Does it change once the engine comes up to temp? You're experiencing cold start. The engine will idle at a faster speed in an attempt to warm itself up quicker. If it never comes out of cold start, you may have an issue with your Fast Idle Air Valve. It is directly below the throttle body (actually it is bolted to the underside of the TB) and has two coolant lines on it.

You may also have a throttle cable or throttle rotor spring issue with binding.

superdave

5+ Year Member
no it stays at about 1700 at the least no matter how long I drive it. I know I have something wrong with my throttle because almost every time I push it, its like it sticks. And I guess the only thing I can do is replace the throttle rotor spring? I'm gonna check it out here in a few

EGHseries

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
When You Reset The Iacv Do You Reset Your Backup Duse And Learn The Computer At The Same Time Man If Not It Willnt Idle Right Anyways

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
To the OP. It sounds like it is your FITV (Fast Idle Thermo Valve) In order to fix this issue, you should take it off of the bottom of the throttle body (I actually remove the entire throttle body since its easier) Remove the 2 8mm/phillips bolts/screws on the end of it, and screw the plunger all of the way in, and back it out one full turn. I recommend using the 8mm because those screws are a pain in the ass.

When You Reset The Iacv Do You Reset Your Backup Duse And Learn The Computer At The Same Time Man If Not It Willnt Idle Right Anyways
What?

superdave

5+ Year Member
How big of a pain in the ass is this to do? I mean I can do it but I don't want it to make it run any worse. And I did take off the IACV off and it was almost brand new and the screen was clean, no build up or anything. And see today since it was about 75 degrees outside the rpm's stayed about 1400. I want to just buy a new throttle body but was thinking of something not OEM any suggestions? I knew when I bought this car it was going to be a project and what a better car than a honda. But you know what all the haters in the world wouldn't change the way I love it

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I need to do a write up on these. Its not too hard. Its three 10mm bolts and 2 coolant lines.