Idling too high or normal? TB just replaced

trez777

5+ Year Member
My idling after a cold start is around 1800 then decreases to about 1100 after a few minutes. This is when the gear is on park. Is this a normal thing or something that needs to be checked? Is there even a way to adjust your idling? Also after driving for some time and putting the gear back to park mode, the idling plays by itself for about 50-100 increments - is that normal as well? This is for a Civic LX 2003 with around 84k in mileage. Thanks.

(Some background before this happened... my CEL went on and read P0122 which is Throttle Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit Low Input. Had the same issue before last year and just poured in a fuel injector cleaner on my gas tank and replaced my gas station. That seemed to help as the CEL went away. But same issue occured again now so brought it to a shop to get it diagnosed and they said the TPS is already bad. Had my full TB replaced - had no choice since I need to get the car fixed right away and if I have a mechanic just replace the TPS, its gonna take a while since you have to order the TPS off ebay or through online. I can tell you that little piece (the TB) was damn expensive. Was getting little or no acceleration as a symptom when driving specifically when the gear is shifting...didn't want to take a chance because I'm always driving with the kids)

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
You probably forgot the gasket that fits between the TB and the intake manifold.

trez777

5+ Year Member
You probably forgot the gasket that fits between the TB and the intake manifold.
So the 1800 idling at cold start is not normal at all? I've seen others that post the same idling... basically I'm not sure if I should head down the shop and have them check it or if its normal and I'd end up with the shop telling me its normal..

monotech

Banned
Possible vacuum leak which throttle body may be sucking too much air. Spray Carb cleaner around the base and if there's a leak it will suck up the spray and you can see where the leak is coming from. The throttle body does have a idle screw that you can adjust with a flat head screwdriver. Counter close wise closes the butterfly fly and close wise increases the idle. GL!

trez777

5+ Year Member
Possible vacuum leak which throttle body may be sucking too much air. Spray Carb cleaner around the base and if there's a leak it will suck up the spray and you can see where the leak is coming from. The throttle body does have a idle screw that you can adjust with a flat head screwdriver. Counter close wise closes the butterfly fly and close wise increases the idle. GL!
so if there's a leak, will this eventually lead to some other parts being damaged? or is it more of just gas mileage kinda thing.